back to T-111

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttinman23

Reaction score
Since the T-111 I have is already primed with gray paint, I think I would have to use an exterior paint??? Would staining it be worthless since the primer is on it already? Can you stain over primer? I want to least amount of maintenance for the future

Since the T-111 I have is already primed with gray paint, I think I would have to use an exterior paint??? Would staining it be worthless since the primer is on it already? Can you stain over primer? I want to least amount of maintenance for the future

Use solid stain, not paint. Since it has been primed, you can use a latex solid, which is easier to apply than oil based. Staining with anything other than a solid over the primer will look really bad. No stain, except a solid exterior is applicable in this instance.

you think it would be wiser to use the solid exterior stain than to use paint over this primed grey color it already has? I would like the best protectant and less maitenance

You stain wood to allow it to breath while still being protected, but once it is primed it is sealed so no advantage for stain.

Solid stain looks better than paint on T-111. No question about it.

Latest posts

Back