Source for Corian

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenreich

Reaction score
I am remodeling an upstairs bathroom. It had a shower in it that was the old style square pedestal with ceramic tiles. I am putting in a tub and surround. The floor joists are not tall enough to handle the overflow, drain and trap for the tub. the only thing I can see to fix this problem is to elevate the tub by 1 1/2". This will leave a gap on the front of the tub between the tub and the floor. The best solution I can come up with to fill the gap that won't require constant attention to keep it from water damage is to find some Corian to use as a filler strip.

Does anyone know where you can custom order Corian? I am needing a piece 3/4" X 1 1/2" X 60".

Thanks for all the ideas and help! Also, if you have a different/better solution to filling the gap, I'm all ears.
Ken

Lower the water or raise the bridge?? Have you considered a bulkhead (soffit) in the downstairs to add space for the plumbing? Could that be a solution or would the cosmetics not look good?

As to ordering solid surface material, a local building supply would easily do this for you. You might also consider your options on the profile. Here is information to expand your creative choices ... http://www.countertopspecialty.com/Corian-counter-tops.html

I would look at drop in tub that still has the back and end flanger but you build a wall in the front and tile it with a small deck

Lower the water or raise the bridge?? Have you considered a bulkhead (soffit) in the downstairs to add space for the plumbing? Could that be a solution or would the cosmetics not look good?

As to ordering solid surface material, a local building supply would easily do this for you. You might also consider your options on the profile. Here is information to expand your creative choices ... http://www.countertopspecialty.com/Corian-counter-tops.html
CallMeVilla - good idea, but won't work. I'm stuck with a plumbing stack for the upstairs and I can't lower my inlet to the drain or I'll be running uphill. I have to leave it where it is to still have enough pitch to drain.

As far as a "local building supply", I live in the boonies and don't have many options locally.

Thanks!

I would look at drop in tub that still has the back and end flanger but you build a wall in the front and tile it with a small deck
nealtw - another good idea - but it won't work either. I'm already working with a low ceiling in the upstairs bathroom. It was an add-on to the house in 1968/69 and they put a short ceiling in it for some reason. I'm really limited on head room. AND, I already have the tub sitting in my living room and the packing and box are already at the dump! Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else? Good responses thus far. Keep 'em coming. Somebody's got the solution to my problem!

OK, I love a challenge ... Why not a free standing tub with an overhead shower ?? This model is elevated, trendy, and cool.

soaking-tub.jpg

Do you have enough room in front of the tub to build a step to set the edge of the tub on and treat the step just like the floor.

if that's because of the PT, then why not a different material? The tile would do the job of preventing water from drips, splashes and steam. I kind of remember Corian being expensive, so that seems overkill for a hidden tub base. Some kind of Hardie product?

Anything built for tile wants to be fairly dry or it will shrink. The problem with using stone or something as an extension to the tub, is the weight of the tub will be on that edge,maybe you could dress something and set the tub on it but who wants to try it just to see if it will work. Perhaps a small curb like a shower with solid product on top for the tub to sit on.

We always set our tubs and shower units in a bed of structolite. or lightweight mortar. That and you can raise the unit initially by padding it up using 3/4 inch advantech.
Then use a piece of 1 inch vylil board, and you can even router it in to look good. We screw it down to the floor on most remodels because the floors are never level in an old bathroom, but you sure as hell better make sure your tub unit is square and plumb...or it will not fit correctly in the corners.

Silicone / paintable caulk, and you can match the vinyl board to your tub color.

We do this all the time.. no problems.

We have even stood a piece of bullnose tile on edge in front of the tub, and just grouted it in after adhearing it with thinset to the mortar under the tub. Just screw a board to the floor to create a flat surface at the base.

Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back