foundation sank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

Reaction score
Foundation on my garage sank , I'd guess 4-6" . It put step cracks in the a concrete block wall. I want to fix it cheap as its only a storage area mainly , and I have alot of repairs elsewhere. My first step is putting in exterior drain tile as it was needed , water was entering the Garage and I believe this was the cause of the faliure (And a 7' snow srorm)I'm digging out the foundation to below the footer and installing corrigated pipe and stone. Once that's completed I'm thinking about removing half the block wall and redoing it , it has some bad blocks pushed in due to freeze thaw . Looking for advise on block repair.

imag0279-1105.jpg

This is a garage , built behind a garage at some time , 2.5' lower , so a stepped down foundation.

2015-04-01-175718-1279.jpg

2015-04-01-175659-1278.jpg

The roof has a poor pitch , 2x6 rafters on a 24"oc with a 20' span. Most of them cracked or

broke. They have been sistered with 2x8s and shored in the center. I have a structural engineer involved for the house At this point.

thumb2_2015-04-01-175756-1281.jpg

2015-04-01-175739-1280.jpg

This is 1 pollack , 1 shovel , 2 days :clap: The main pita was shoveling 2' of snow/ice. The dirt remaining agianst the structure is frozen solid for the first foot. I think 1 more day I can get the fo7ndation.

2015-04-01-175604-1275.jpg

Broken foundation , crack through slab.

[

Last edited:
IMG]http://cdn.houserepairtalk.com/images/3/2/3/2/7/thumb2_2015-04-01-175624-1276.jpg[/IMG]

Block pushing IN from freez/thaw

thumb2_2015-04-01-175545-1274.jpg

Step crack due to sinking foundation.

My plan is to excavate and install drain tile on both sides of this garage. I'm looking for advise , if I fix this drainage , should it stop any sinking? If so I'm fine with the slab as is , it's only a storage garage.

My main objective on this post is what would you do to repair the block?

That's ugly enough. The drain usually can sit on the footing and you should never have to worry about freezing below the footing because it should be below frost level.
So first question, is the footing below frost level. The footing will require some repair.

I suspect you will have to under pin the footing. You will have to dig down in sections to solid ground and below frost level.
This is a good video on how it is down althoiugh he is doing a drop basement floor but you would be doing the same process on the outside.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYYOvAmPhJg[/ame]

all of the ground next to the garage is frozen solid so that's holding me up a bit. I'm guessing the footing is at 3' . Is this sufficient?I'll know more when I can get more done. A pic axe is just blasting ice into my face lol. I do t mind shoveling dirt , what ticks me off is shoveling the snow off the dirt first! It's 60f and sunny today though so maybe that will help.

If I'm understanding the video , they have dug below the foundation to add concrete? Some of the pics look like thier next to it but not under neath it? It looks like thier making a basement? I'm hoping I wouldn't have to do the entire length of wall like they are?

If the ground is still frozen it wouldn't sink. I think the footing is on mud that sank under the weight of the snow. Some of it will have to be below the mud and the rest has to be below frost level.
Hopefully you find a footing.

I've been reading a bunch on underpining and I don't see any intructions on how to decide how deep to go? The soil is clay which expands and contracts from what I've read.

thumb2_2015-04-07-120627-1331.jpg

this is where the front garage meets the back garage. The footing is 3'6" from the bottom of the 4"slab , to the bottom of the footing. right when I dug below the footer water came out rather quick from under it. I should probably dig below that level for a drain Tile then? What about reconditioning the block?

The second garage behind , is 2'7" lower than the main garage , so I'm hoping this footer steps down also.its Deffinatly lower , but I'm not sure by how much yet.

Any time we do any of that. there is a geo- tec engineer on site to poke the soil with rod and that is about all I know about it. They have a steel rod about 1/2" by 3ft rounded on one end handle on other and it is a matter of how easy they can push it in the ground and then they look at soil types too. On houses, I have seen them dig out 16 ft deep and re-fill with gravel or some times it's a wider deeper footing.

After I dug a small deep hole at the end of the second garage , I found that that footer is even deeper. But I think I'm deciding to demo the structure. I push on the block wall lightly to get out of the pit and it swayed. By gently pushing it I can make it wobble a good inch. I went to the oppizite block wall , same thing. I know with one real good push , I could collapse the wall.

The roof is shot , it's poorly designed even if fixed. The block walls are shot , the foundation is shot. It sucks to loose space but with all my other projects it has to go. I sank 300$ into it with sistering , I'm willing to cut my losses here.

This raises more questions. I have a poured pad sitting there , but do I have to demo that or bury it agianst the garage to keep the garage footer deep enough?

Which now has me thinking , the inlaw setup has a walkout basement . I just covered it up with some paneling that way laying around. Boarded up the door with plywood and insulation. is there a footer appropriately deep here?

Looking at the basement I see some separation of the blocks I have never noticed before , and some cracks on the floor. Nothing nearly as bad as the garage. Could snow load have done this??

thumb2_2015-04-07-135742-1332.jpg

If it was done properly the footing would be deep in that area, but if it started out as a garage the may not be any foundation there.

Latest posts

Back