Floor Frustration

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblz

Reaction score
Hello everyone....this is my first time posting.

I bought an 1846 Victorian. It's got great bones, but needs A LOT of love. At this point I want to expose the original hard wood floor. But there appears to be 4 different layers to remove first. Can someone teach me the easiest way to do this? While the room is relatively average in size, this project is quite labor intensive. I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks, Vicki

image.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, my only comment will be, lots of labour.. but be aware the at least one layer will have asbestos and you shoulkd have all layers tested before you get to far into it.

Oh wow, thanks, that never even dawned to me. Considering the age of the house, I will definitely keep that in mind as I tackle projects.
Bubblz-

It looks like a full mess. You definitely need to remove that first. Ceramic flooring is one type of flooring which we can easily put on another one with a little bit of adjustment, but in that case I don't think it seems to work. so it’s best to tear out existing concrete and start anew by pouring on a compacted stone or sand bars. I suggest you to go with flooring option according to your taste and budget as well.

Latest posts

Back