Hello from South Louisiana

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remout

Reaction score
Just got my hands on this 1894 Acadian Cottage. It sits atop a natural knoll, very rare down here in the flat lands. The original cottage is mostly unmolested. It does have a poorly done, unfinished, addition on the back. Game plan is to fix it up and move in.

oakhavenS1.png

oakhavenS2.png

oakhavenS3.png

*waves from Central Louisiana*
Looks like a nice piece of property and the house is interesting. Don't see many quite like that in this area.

The shrubbery looks familiar and I like your little oak tree.

I like your front door-- I have a very similar one in a slightly darker color.

Just from the pictures, I think your chimney is broken off and needs to be built up taller.
I think I would definitely replace the columns for that porch with something more substantial. I would definitely replace that tin-looking roof with thicker metal roofing (because you have so many trees around and the leaves are bound to start piling up-- they slide off of metal roofs more easily and its harder for weeds to get a foothold and start growing)
I have something like this
shutterstock_127832588.jpg

20131009162638_41726.jpg

It will be loud when acorns fall on it though. But I found that when I do have to clean the roof, that its easier to get my footing when I grasp my foot in the tops of the bolts/screws.

There are also metal roofs that look like shingles.
10d8jlx.jpg

What are your plans in terms of remodeling? Are you going to keep the wood look inside? Any photo ideas for what you plan to do? (do you go to the Houzz site?)

I'd love to see what you do with the place.

Last edited:
Yes the chimney was hit by a tree and broke the top off. The current roof is functional but I like your ideas. I think the inside batten board has linseed oil on it. We're going to test the traditional milk white white washing. If that won't take well probably leave it as is and lighten it up with lighter floors.

The wall between the front room and kitchen is coming out and a large cypress beam will go in. I'll replace what little wiring is there, add plumbing and that's about it. The windows need some love, we'll fix some of them up and replace one of them.

There is a poorly done, modern, 350 sq ft addition on the back. In that area we're going with open rafter ceilings and shiplap walls.

Nice ideas! I hope the house is holding up well in this weather. I don't know if you got hit with the nasty thunderstorms. I had to go up to Alexandria today and the rain was extremely cold. Apparently I missed the hailstorm at my house. I was just watching the news and it looks like there are a lot of downed trees all over the place.

If you have any problems with trees, I can recommend a tree preservation/arborist service.

Back