Erosion on creek bank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb104

Reaction score
We suffered through a flood of our property and crawl space about a year ago, which filled the creek and eroded the bank. The flood water came from the creek. We paid to have the creek dipped and had that soil put back on the bank. Recently, it got really high and in the edge of the yard again and we lost about 2 feet of bank. What is the best solution to this? Here are some pics of it currently View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1429818809.761678.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1429818822.733826.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1429818836.157209.jpg

I sure can't afford that first one. I'm having quotes on having it sloped and lined with gravel. It just seems like the gravel would wash away though?

Not sure what your conservation department allows or if they care. Two options I would consider are armour stone (huge rocks) or gabion baskets

Rock-Your-World-Natural-Stone-Supply_34194_image.JPG

0210232.jpg

When I lived in England while in the USAF 30 some odd years ago they had stabilized the banks of the canals with stacked cloth sacks of concrete. No need to mix them, just stack them up and the water from the stream will make them harden. You could do it with bags of redi-mix by poking a few holes in the bags as you stacked them up. The paper will dissolve away after a few months leaving a nice stack of concrete. It would be a very DIY friendly way to amour the banks.

Now having said that, anytime you are working around water you can get into trouble with the government real fast. Folks have talked with their local government and gotten an OK only to run into trouble with the feds and the clean water act. So tread carefully.

Now having said that, anytime you are working around water you can get into trouble with the government real fast. Folks have talked with their local government and gotten an OK only to run into trouble with the feds and the clean water act. So tread carefully.
:agree:
we used a geotextile and large rocks and deepen the stream if you have the money you can look at the fema website and see if they have any ideas for u

Back