Exteror pine window casing and other trim

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttinman23

Reaction score
Anyone know what to use on bare pine wood that was place on the exterior of a cabin. Prime/Paint, solid stain, water sealer?

Kinda of an open ended question, right? Depends on your climate and the look you are trying to achieve. Pictures of the cabin would really help. The choice of finish depends on factors like décor, design, color coordination and the functionality of the finish in your weather climate.

Can you post pics please?

I'm not that computer savy to post pictures but will tell you I am using Durations beige exterior paint on the primed t-111 the cabin was built with. It has a green metal roof. The cabin will be on top of a pasture field away from trees etc....It will be in sun when Sunny. I am in eastern Ohio. The pine wood includes window casing and around the top of the T-111 just beneath the roof. I just want to use something that will last and low maintenance.

I'd use a long oil (slow drying for good penetration) exterior rated oil based primer then 2 coats of a quality exterior semi-gloss in whatever color suits you. I've used Ben Moore Moorwhite for many years with excellent results on projects identical to yours.

Thanks I will consider that as an option. Would you use oil base paint over the oil base primer as well. Can you even use latex paint over oil primed?

If you haven't installed the wood yet, I recommend priming all surfaces of the wood before installation, including the cuts before you install it. Your trim will last much longer if you do. Also, especially for trim that is hard to reach I'd use cellular PVC (Azek is one brand) trim instead of wood. It works like wood, takes paint if you want something other than white and will not rot.

If the oil or alkyd primer if fully cured you can use acrylic on top. A light sand wouldn't hurt beforehand.

Latest posts

Back