Keeping the lumber dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remout

Reaction score
I want to add a 12 X 27 raised foundation addition. The rafters will attach to the existing structure and go out 12' . I can't afford to hire help and I can only work on it on weekends. I won't be able to put in the sub floor, frame the walls, and install the metal roof in a timely manner. I'm worried my sub floor and walls will get rained on before I can install the roof.

Would it make sense to put a few posts just outside where my floor will end, 12' from the existing house. Install a 27' beam to support the other end of the rafters and roof on ala pole barn fashion. Then work under the roof, building the floor and walls. After the back wall is up, remove the original posts and beam with the rafters now supported by the back wall.

Any advice? Thanks!

We always joke about building the roof first.
If you get the roof on withinn a year I wouldn't worry about the lumber.

One beam outside that end wouldn't work as that would be really long and trusses have to be supported just inside the heel cut. You could just build it post and beam style. Four posts on the foundation with double 2x10 beams between each, then you could fill in floor and walls later.

Get some tarps and put a row of hooks into the house and a few stakes out away from the house and tarp it up when the weather looks bad.

Latest posts

Back