Shingles with room addition

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hey there.

Just curious if you guys are picky on this part that my contractor did.

We are adding a room to our house. The guys cut my existing shingles too much (about 4 inch near the bottom part, line isn't straight from top to bottom) before the metal T connector (not sure what its called). The T connector part still sits below the shingles since it is wider. Current pic won't show any detail. The contractor did put new singles underneath the current shingles and ran along the T Connector like they normally do.

Is this acceptable? I will try to get a closer up pic. Don't want to be too picky but just want to know what the consensus is.

Last edited:
The sheet metal extends about 8" under the shingles, so he had to pull nails to slide it in, I think some damge could be expected, as long as he fixed it up, it should be good.

Looks like he put in an open metal valley.This should have been discussed with you before the install in case you didn't like the look of it.Not a problem as long as it was installed properly.
Some closer pics would help to determine that.

My question is more of cosmetically that they cut about 4" away from the middle of the valley. I think they ripped more shingles than they should have. If I was cutting, I would have gotten a long piece of wood and mark the projected line from top to bottom and cut a nice straight line and closer. I take pic tonight.

Btw, they cut the existing shingles during the time they connect the addition to the existing structure. The installed of valley and roofing done different day.

Last edited:
If, they only cut 4" on the old roof, you're likely to have a problem. The valley should be lined with ice and water shield that should extend 18" up each slope. No way this could have been installed without taking full shingles out of the valley.

And a valley should have been wider at the bottom then the top not just straight down.
Valley flashing needs to be 24" wide, 12" on each side.
So how did they do that without removing shingles?
Why would they have installed the windows and door with no house wrap.
No ridge vent on the roof?

I didn't see them installed the valley but when they placed the shingles underneath the existing shingles (near valley) I was there. They pull some nails under the old shingles and placed the new shingles underneath and nailed it back. Right side has a cleaner cut line. The valley looks wide. tried to reach under with my hand to see how wide and it must be at least 8".

Only vent on the side.

Left side:

Last edited:
Sorry, but you have one heck of a mess. In 20 years, I've never seen a valley cut like that.. Have them do it corretly now before final payment, cause I'm sure they won't come back later.

Sorry, but you have one heck of a mess. In 20 years, I've never seen a valley cut like that.. Have them do it corretly now before final payment, cause I'm sure they won't come back later.

I am going to ask him to at least fix the left side since it is visible from my backyard. Going to ask them to pull the last shingle of each row out and fix it.

The shingles look like they were installed sideways. That's not correct.

Its not the visual that's a problem. It's the way they were installed. Why would you accept putting yourself in a position of failure.

Not trying to excuse that poor job, but I wonder if the reason is because they could not get the shingle adhesive to break free on the old roof.
I've ran into that before.
Home owner had asked me for a price to shingle his new porch, said my price was to high.
A year later he wanted me to figure out why it was leaking since day one.
He told me he had used coil stock in the valley for flashing.
Problum was he had not set it in the middle of the valley, just laid it flat with just about 2" on the other side and had nailed it right in the middle of the valley.
He had just laid the shingles over the old shingles and thought using roof cement would seal it.
The whole roof needed to be stripped, new OSB, all new shingles.
Boy did he "save" some money.

The shingles look like they were installed sideways. That's not correct.

Maybe its the norm. For the first shingle along the valley, it goes along (the full piece) the valley. At least when I checked other existing valleys of my house, it was installed the same way.

they should replace the shingles with the bad cut, I will bet the never lifted them to do the angle cut on the top of each,

Your old roof ain't exactly bright & shiny. How old is it? And maybe you could cut a deal with these guys to do the whole roof right. Or maybe you don't want these guys to touch your roof again:(

Your old roof ain't exactly bright & shiny. How old is it? And maybe you could cut a deal with these guys to do the whole roof right. Or maybe you don't want these guys to touch your roof again:(

Update:

They fixed the issue. I am happy now. Old roof is about 10 years old (at least that is what previous owner told me).

Latest posts

Back