How times have changed.....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

As some of you know my mother passed away a couple years ago now. She was a collector of sorts. She saved every document from bank statements to letters to anything that came to her. I have been going through stuff as I have time. Tonight I went through a box that had all the love letters from my grandfather (who I have never met, he passed before I was born) to my grandmother when he was in Germany in 1945 in the military. the same box had all of my fathers military paperwork, I mean a stack a foot tall, everything he ever received from the government. a bunch of doctors stuff and just general work and personal stuff from the 50's up to the 90's or later.

What caught my attention was first how people spoke to each other back then, they truly seemed to like each other, that and everything from paycheck stubs to banking forms had little pamphlets and whatnot to help you do things like remember your prescription or future appointments and the like. I really wish I could have grown up in that time, I am 35 now and believe I caught the tail end of that time. Things really have changed in the last 30 years. Heck we used to go to a place called the library to learn things and read books, it was a blast. Technology sure has speed up our lives. Now it is a rat race to get to the end, but really where is the end and why are we in a hurry to get there?

I had the task of doing the same thing..i found an old wore out leather change purse.

the same change purse my grand mother would pull out when ever we went to town..she would give me a quarter..

for "walking around money" back then a quarter to a kid was like a dollar bill now.

lotta old memories in those old boxs.

why dont you put them boxs back in the shed,,wait till your daughter is old enough to help you go thru them

I have a 10x20 storage full and the attic of her old house full. I am trying to separate everything, anything with any sort of history for family is saved. Bank statements and old bills are trash except a few to look back and see what things cost in the past.

I will be going through this again soon enough, my grandparents are in their 90's and my father doesn't take care of himself and his having health issues. After that I have no more family except my own.

I hear ya...I have 3 big blue plastic tubs, full of pictures. 95% of them do not have a damn thing wrote on them.

I hate to throw out our family history..but..who the hell are these people?

my Mom and enough since to tape record her grand father when he was 97

it was in 61'....he told stories/ memories that would have been lost for ever.

maybe you can sit down and have your grand dad,,tell of days gone past..

Get as much history as you can while you can. My Father has dementia & alzheimers and can't recall anything and if he does remember it is sketchy info. His life is well documented in history books being used in schools today. How many of us will be able to say that in our golden years.

here is a family story.

please,,,i do not wish to offend..that is not my intention

great great grand dad, had a large farm, and he needed a house slave to help in the house

he bought a girl named Mary. who, ws very upset about being seperated from her family.

all she did was cry and throw fits.

grand pa could not have this. so he returned her to the original owner..got his money back.

with that money, along with some from his 2 brothers

they bought land, started a town, called it sontag [germen for sunday]

our family owned that land for over 100 years, town is still there

full of Douglas, Whites, my kin.

we have a family cemetary at the Shiloh church that dates back with kin to the 1700's

I spent all my summers there as a kid.

http://screencast.com/t/lTm3YirzT

Too bad that "money back guarantee" didn't work for ex-wives. hell, I'd be a Zillionaire.

Latest posts

Back