Need help with foundation and waterproofing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboodie

Reaction score
I am worried that over time the house has settled and now there is a problem with moisture. In these pictures you can see that the sidewalk and the side of the house is divided by a row of cinderblock. Im not sure why. We bought this house at auction, so it did not need to pass inspection.

We have made improvements and now want to sell it. I think that there will be a problem with the soil line and the bottom of the siding being less than 6 inches apart. Additionally, when it rains it seems the water accumulates in this small area (because the cinderblock) and the fact that the house now sits lower than the back yard that slopes toward it and it sits lower than the driveway. Water goes under the house.

In these pictures its the area to the left of the doors, and closest to the home on the left side of the blocks.

Advise?

20150304_152222[1].jpg

20150304_152243[1].jpg

You have uncontrolled drainage ans no downspouts. Judging by the first photo, almost all water from about the center of the driveway runs toward the house. I assume the "cinder" block are just sitting in the soil and water runs underneath to accumulate under and around the home.

you need to put in a wall below grade and slightly above grade to direct the water out and around the entry that juts out. Landscaping can be used to make it pretty for your "flip". - A new sidewalk and a landing in front of the left door could give some resolution to where the front door might be.

It just looks a little unfinished, but can be "dolled" up to make it more desirable.

Dick

Here is the front of the house. Before we go making it pretty with some much needed help with landscaping and other things, we need to get the important stuff straight.

So back to the photos above, the door in the middle houses the furnace and breaker. The door to the right is from the driveway to the kitchen.

20150423_140904.jpg

20150423_140944.jpg

For what its worth , I just did drainage around my house. Looks like it's a nice pitch you got down to the road. Is there a ditch there? I would dig a trench along side your driveway to the road. Bury a perferated pipe with #2 stone on top. I did this and my basement is dry as can be.

No gutters, no downspouts. Dumping a whole roof's worth of water right at the foundation is just asking for trouble. That can be fixed easy enough.
If the cinder blocks are trapping water, then they can be removed or rearranged.
Any water running toward the house needs to be deflected and persuaded to go around the house, like buffalo mentioned.

Looks like you have a lot of trees close to the house and lots of leaves on the roof. Most likely the reason for no gutters. Make sure you get the roof cleaned off as that will shorten roof life. Then when you add gutters look at types that deal with leaves well.

As mentioned above get the water away from the house and out to the road.

Back