fake paper wasp nests

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I use fake paper wasp nests in the summer to deter wasps from nesting near my home. I usually put one in the front of the house in the porch, and another one in the back of the house.

The one in the back of the house is exposed to rain. I don't currently have a way to shield it from rain. After a few rains, the paper nest is pretty much destroyed. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to make these things last longer?

Cheers,

Paul

Love to hear more about how you make them, and how effective they are. I think that might also help us figure a way to make them more weather proof

You should try painting the ceiling blue, it's supposed to repel bugs, supposedly by making them think it's the sky. The actual color to use is haint blue.

Love to hear more about how you make them, and how effective they are. I think that might also help us figure a way to make them more weather proof

Hi Slownsteady.

I don't actually make these wasp deterrents. They can be bought in stores. Please see attached picture.

They are great. But I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how to make them last longer when they are exposed to weather, especially rain.

Cheers!

Paul

wasp deterrent.jpg

I think Krylon (or one of those brands) makes a clear urethane spray. That should offer some rain protection, but I don't know if it will make the decoys less effective ( too shiny or smelly or something?) I guess the only way to find that out is to test it. But another thought is to put them in a more protected spot. I'm pretty sure that wasps build their nests where they are protected, so the decoys should probably do the same.

One of my customers uses plastic sandwich bags with water and a few penny's in the bag.
Looks and sounds stupid but it's working for him, no more new nest.

I think Krylon (or one of those brands) makes a clear urethane spray. That should offer some rain protection, but I don't know if it will make the decoys less effective ( too shiny or smelly or something?) I guess the only way to find that out is to test it. But another thought is to put them in a more protected spot. I'm pretty sure that wasps build their nests where they are protected, so the decoys should probably do the same.

This may do the trick, but the smell and sheen might also deter wasps. The nest is so flimsy, it does not look like it would last very long. Have you tried it? Maybe creating a nest out of paper using corrugated cardboard would help.

Thanks a lot everyone. I think I came up with a solution. I put the paper deterrent in a thin clear plastic bag, with the opening of the plastic bag facing down, so that rain water doesn't get into the bag.

I then hung the deterrent using the hook that's on the deterrent (and be careful not to break the plastic). We've had a couple of days' of rain, and the deterrent is still perfect! No water got in.

Latest posts

Back