DIY Add-Ons/Framing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyenas

Reaction score
I'm wanting to build my own addition (about 20x10). And have some construction experience but would like a VERY basic book to give an overview of the process. Does anyone have any favorites?

To clarify I'm attempting to build something on the level of a solidly constructed cabin. Very simple and sturdy with a shed roof attached to the main house. I'm not at all concerned about codes. Just about tornadoes, and roof collapse.

I've been reading a lot of cabin and toolshed building books since they're about the size but I'd like a specific framing or house book. But they seem really complicated and way more than I need.

Welcome to the site. I think you will find that most books will be deep with all kinds of detail but won't have that answer you need for those odball things you run into.
Your best bet is to start drawing plans right from the bottom up and anything you are not sure of, just ask. There is lots of help here ..

Not conserned about codes is a big red flag.
Codes are the bare minimum of what's required.
You chose to not mention your location in your profile so no one here or any generic "book" is going to be of much help.
Compicated, more then you need to do, Hmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
My location is the southern US in the middle of the woods in a 400 sq foot cabin built by my grandfather, it's a square block. My electric is series of solar panels with satellite internet. So when say I'm not interested in building to code what I mean is that I'm not trying to pass any inspections. This is not a fancy house and there are no building inspectors or permits required where I live.
I want to add on an insulated room to store dry goods and hunting gear.
It won't have any wiring or plumbing or windows. That's how simple I'm talking.

I could probably build it right now the same way the cabin is built but wanted to learn a bit more. Thanks for the book advice. I was hoping there was a level between the cabin building books and the pro books. But apparently not.

Sounds like My cabin...:beer:
If you need information about how to, a good start is a local library. There are plenty of books on how to that will fit your simple needs of the cabin.
In my case, I used some 4x4 posts to build walls and just skinned the sides with 1x8 rough lumber. on the inside, I put some 2 inch foam, and covered it with plywood, and painted it..real simple. then you can put up shelves anywhere you want, just attach to the plywood. I used long screws to catch the 2x2 nailers I put in.
Have fun with it..sounds nice!!
And forget about the codes, just do your best to be safe...and if you don't know what works, just ask.
Its a cabin.

Back