Lead paint on my wood siding...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahsaru

Reaction score
Hi, maybe this needs to go in a different forum, but I'll start here.

We live in a 1935 bungalow in Georgia. We really need to re paint the house! But don't have a lot of money to do so. It's not a large house and feel like it is something we can handle.
The problem is the age of the house. I was concerned that the paint might be lead paint, so I purchased I lead testing kit and tested the siding and the front porch.
The print porch has about 3 layers of paint and the bottom layer tested positive.
The siding only seems to have one layer, it tested negative. But parts of the wood was coming up positive.
My though is that at some point the paint was removed, but maybe some was left behind in the wood?
The plan was to power wash the whole house. Remove all looses/ old paint, Fix areas to be fixed, caulk, prime and repaint. the paint is so bad, it just chips off big chunks, so will be pretty easy to remove for the most part. The front porch will take a little more scraping...
Does this sound do-able? Should I worry about the wood siding and lead?
I am worried about dealing with the front porch. Parts of it I can just replace, if need be. But not the main columns and door/ window frames.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks!!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That house should have been striped primed , replace rotted wood, and repainted long ago.
Only have one close up side ways picture to go by.
Going to take a ton of work stirping back to bare wood.
If you do it yourself the labor is free.

Yeah, we have been putting off painting. With so many other things that need to be done around here. But we have decided we can't put it off any longer. Just mostly worried about the lead paint. It's a small house, we can tackle the house in sections. That one photo is probably the worst spot on the house, where the sprinkler from the garden has helped chip that paint off...

This is not that uncommon. ECOBOND can be used to treat the lead and render it non-hazardous during removal. It can also be applied in the case of leave on sealing. contact me or visit ecobondlbp.com

Hi, maybe this needs to go in a different forum, but I'll start here.

We live in a 1935 bungalow in Georgia. We really need to re paint the house! But don't have a lot of money to do so. It's not a large house and feel like it is something we can handle.
The problem is the age of the house. I was concerned that the paint might be lead paint, so I purchased I lead testing kit and tested the siding and the front porch.
The print porch has about 3 layers of paint and the bottom layer tested positive.
The siding only seems to have one layer, it tested negative. But parts of the wood was coming up positive.
My though is that at some point the paint was removed, but maybe some was left behind in the wood?
The plan was to power wash the whole house. Remove all looses/ old paint, Fix areas to be fixed, caulk, prime and repaint. the paint is so bad, it just chips off big chunks, so will be pretty easy to remove for the most part. The front porch will take a little more scraping...
Does this sound do-able? Should I worry about the wood siding and lead?
I am worried about dealing with the front porch. Parts of it I can just replace, if need be. But not the main columns and door/ window frames.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks!!

Seal and treat lead or in the case of removal paint over and render non-hazardous.

Last edited by a moderator:
You also have termite damage judging from that last picture.
Most likely reason is the siding and trim is to close to grade, should have been at least 6" above grade.

You should sand first if you want to paint over. This will release lead dust however.

You can also strip lead paint with anything alkaline enough.

Lime plaster mixed with natural soap is supposed to work, I did it recently with ammonia and wallpaper paste. You should only use the ammonia with good ventilation though.

You could also do a wet sand to minimize lead dust.

Either way make sure your dust mask is suitable for lead dust.

Back