Can anyone recommend a way to fix this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jholcomb92

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1432436327.445163.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1432436352.459619.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1432436368.511879.jpg

This is in my kitchen, right next to the oven. The hole is underneath the cabinet and where the floor meets the counter. I need some kind of idea to fix this because I am pretty sure it is a hole that leads into the inside of the wall. Also in Florida heat, we started having a big problem and think that could be the culprit. This is in a relatively cheap apartment complex kitchen so I'm looking for a somewhat cheap fix that will keep it closed for at least six months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How far in does it go? Could you fill it with spray foam?

It is pretty far from what it looks like. Any recommendations for the spray foam type?

We don't have an animal problem, at least not that I have seen. However better insulating the apartment, and keeping out bugs. I know there is a roach that ran inside there. That is the biggest reason.

For insects, they make a special foam that is very bitter to prevent them from eating their way through. You could give that a try. If the hole is too deep you could try nailing a small piece of wood partway in as a kind of backstop and then spraying the foam around and on top of it. Roaches being what they are, though, my bet is he'll find another way in. Hopefully you're not finding and sealing cracks all summer!

Here's the foam I was talking about: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...-Foam-Sealant-11073754/204592849?N=5yc1vZbaxj

You need a small wood piece to fill that opening side-to-side. Foam will lead to a big mess. You want it cheap?

Here goes:

1. Measure the dimensions. Most kicks under cabinets are no more than 4" deep and 4" high.
2. Buy a single cedar fence board ($4.50) and cut a piece to fit. Make sure it is a tight fit.
3. You can use construction glue (buy a squeezie tube unless you have a caulking gun) and press the piece into the opening
4. Use a brick to push against the piece overnight.

Grab a beer and celebrate

I had a similar problem with an opening in my bathroom, only with a longer span. I had to maneuver in to screw some wood strips to the sides behind where I wanted the block and then I screwed a piece of plywood to that. Maybe you could put flex seal over that. Although Callmevilla's suggestion is probably better than mine.

Back