Opinion/advice on a light vs ventilation issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanrudy

Reaction score
I have only one window for a detached 120sq ft room in Southern California. I've installed a dual-window fan and keep the window open at all times to have as much ventilation as possible; however, I still would like privacy. The solution I think may work in attempting to keep ventilation and increase privacy is adding 2-3 layers of screen to the window screen; however, I have very little experience with these issues and was wondering if I may actually reduce my ventilation by doing so? The screen material is a variation of your basic black window screen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD5GKU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Would ventilation be restricted a lot by these multiple screen layers becoming almost like a window seal instead of a screen even though there are still tiny holes in the screen material? Would you guys recommend a better solution to privacy and keeping ventilation to put blinds or another idea to block view inside? Thanks so much for any help for this issue of having both a ventilation and privacy concern. Thank you.

untitled(34).jpg

untitled(35).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you add enough layers to block visibility you will also block air flow.

The best method of blocking the view without blocking the air has been around a very long time and that is louvered shutters.

Another method would be some sort of duct work.

Are you pulling air from outside or pushing your inside air out? If pushing the air out of the room you could put a solid cover in front of the fan out at the wall covering the open areas while leave the sides open for the fan to pull air from the room. In looking at the picture it looks like the fan is inset from the wall by 3-4 inches. Shutters would work too. I suspect both of these solutions would not work as well if you are pulling in outside air through this window. Are you able to pull air from the rest of the house into this room?

Are you pulling air from outside or pushing your inside air out? If pushing the air out of the room you could put a solid cover in front of the fan out at the wall covering the open areas while leave the sides open for the fan to pull air from the room. In looking at the picture it looks like the fan is inset from the wall by 3-4 inches. Shutters would work too. I suspect both of these solutions would not work as well if you are pulling in outside air through this window. Are you able to pull air from the rest of the house into this room?

This is a small shed,, one fan pushes while other fan pulls.

I have only one window for a detached 120sq ft room in Southern California. I've installed a dual-window fan and keep the window open at all times to have as much ventilation as possible; however, I still would like privacy. The solution I think may work in attempting to keep ventilation and increase privacy is adding 2-3 layers of screen to the window screen; however, I have very little experience with these issues and was wondering if I may actually reduce my ventilation by doing so? The screen material is a variation of your basic black window screen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD5GKU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Would ventilation be restricted a lot by these multiple screen layers becoming almost like a window seal instead of a screen even though there are still tiny holes in the screen material? Would you guys recommend a better solution to privacy and keeping ventilation to put blinds or another idea to block view inside? Thanks so much for any help for this issue of having both a ventilation and privacy concern. Thank you.
We talked about venting when you built this. Did you do anything with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been sticking with the conclusion reached in that other thread, Nealtw, of just leaving the window open 24/7. No heater as I'm in Southern California, so pretty fair weather, but installed the fan because it was getting stuffy. Yes, I have the fan running in exchange mode, one fan in, one out.
I could also install a gable vent or dryer vent (the good solution Nealtw suggested) or add a screen door to the shed door to increase ventilation but it seems the fan solution may be best since it has more privacy than other solutions, and is the most cost effective (I'd have to pay someone to do vent or screen door), and it has worked okay so far. Hope to increase privacy, seems exterior shutters is most recommended. Not sure how I'll handle it during winter time.

Latest posts

Back