Birds eating all of my grass seed!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Does anyone had any good ideas or suggestions on what I can do to prevent the Birds from eating all of the grass seed I put down?

I spread out a bunch, got home from work and there were 50 birds eating all the seed, there was nothing left when they were done. Thanks

Grass seed should be raked into some loose soil or top dressed and then covered with a layer of loose straw about 8 inches thick that will lie down. I try and put just enough straw on that it doesn’t have to be removed when the seed germinates. The straw will shade the sprouts and help with keeping the soil moist.
You could try mixing the seed with some hydro seed mix and broadcast it by hand and wet it in good. the birds seem to leave that stuff alone also. I have also seen people put strings with strips of aluminum foil and such to keep birds away.

You can also try broadcasting the seed right before a rain. It will put the seed in the soil that way.

I am having the same problem. I think putting the seed mixed with mulch helps a lot because it kind of hides it. I have read that you can also sprinkle something the birds like to eat-- like some bird seed that won't sprout in your yard, and the birds will go for that more than the grass seed. I haven't tried that yet though.

I feel your pain :(

What i ended up doing was after i seeded, i walked over the seeds to depress them into the soil. Then I thatched my yard and placed it over the seed to hide it somewhat. It worked like a charm, the birds stopped eating it that day, good luck and let us know how it goes!

put a ghetto blaster in the middle of the yard and turn it on.

you might have to change channels. some birds like to boogy, and others like country

depends where you live what they do not like.

I think the its "all about the base" ought to work rather well

I've used fishing line with blank CD's suspended under the line to scare the birds away. This worked well for me.

I've used fishing line with blank CD's suspended under the line to scare the birds away. This worked well for me.

Will old CD's with data on them also work? i have a bunch of them. :D

I am having the same problem. I think putting the seed mixed with mulch helps a lot because it kind of hides it. I have read that you can also sprinkle something the birds like to eat-- like some bird seed that won't sprout in your yard, and the birds will go for that more than the grass seed. I haven't tried that yet though.

I feel your pain :(

no such thing

Latest posts

Back