How do I tell if the power is off?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnd6a

Reaction score
I know it sounds stupid, but it's a unique situation (at least to me).

I want to replace a non-functioning garbage disposal. To do so, I need to shut off the power to the disposal before removing it. I can't simply unplug it because the power cable disappears into the floor of the cabinet and I can't access where ever it's plugged in to.

No problem, how about just flipping the breaker in the fuse box? The problem is no breaker is specifically labeled as controlling the disposal. There are several that say "kitchen lights/plugs," and if I flip them, they will shut off various lights and certain outlets, but I can't be sure that any is controlling the disposal in particular. For all I know the power cable disappears into the floor of the cabinet and connects to some power source in the basement and in fact none of the "kitchen lights/plugs" breakers controls it.

And because the current disposal doesn't work at all, I can't just flip breakers one after the other and try the disposal until it doesn't turn on anymore to locate the one that controls it.

Any ideas on how I can be sure it's off? Is there another way to test for power (without getting hurt!) Other than this issue, I'm very excited to do this install myself, and it would be a shame if I have to give it over to my plumber just because I couldn't figure out how to turn off the power.

Thank you!

First you said the old one dose not work. there is a reset button on the bottom of most of them. Try that first and see if you can bring it back to life, even if you just get a hum.

The easy solution would be to just shut off the main breaker. Otherwise you'll need to take off the access plate where the wire connects to GD. Put a volt meter to the terminals and read the voltage while someone turns off branch breakers.
While you're at it, you should see about adding a receptacle under the sink and a pigtail to the new disposal. You won't have to go through this again if it ever fails.

Last edited:
Go in the electrical dept at the hardware store, they have several testers to tell if a circuit is hot. Some have meters, some lights, some have a sensor. Always good to have one on hand working with electric.

Some projects start out pretty straight forward and then snowball. Yours has snowballed a bit and it’s important to expand your project to include the things you find not right along the way. It is not safe or to code to have a plug or outlet that is not accessible, it is also not to code or safe to have a junction box with wire connections that is not accessible. So you have to fix that first. At the same time it would be wise to figure out where all your circuits are at and label your panel correctly.
As to looking for live wires they sell some non-contact testers that all you have to do is get them close to a live wire and they light up and buzz.
When you pull on the wire do you get movement in the basement of any wires in that general area?

Thank you, everyone. Pressing the button on the disposal did the trick. When I pressed it, I got the hum for 8 to 10 seconds before it would go out again and I'd have to press it again. (It's in bad shape, the previous owner poured paint into it.)

I had my wife stand next to it and turn it on after I flipped each switch until we found the right one.

And I plan to get a voltmeter on my next trip to the hardware store.

Thanks again! And now to install the disposal!

Chances are just turning off the switch to the disposal will kill power to it.

Anyone that wires up an outlet under the cabinet I wouldn’t trust to have broken the power leg with the switch. It would be easy enough to pull the switch out and check that with a volt meter though.

Do yourself a favor and make sure the wiring is sound before you hook up the new disposal.

Well .... your fix will turn out to be temporary. Good chance the failure will return and you will have to replace the disposal. Sorry but that is how these things go.

Go get a "tickler" which will let you know if voltage is present in the line. Simple.
Undo the plate underneath and disconnect the power wires.
Remove the old disposal.
Connect new wires to the disposal BEFORE installing it.
Install new guy.

Ask wife if she loves her handyman husband!

tester.jpg

I think the best way is with a receptacle under the sink, a pigtail on the disposal, plugged into an air switch with the control button mounted in the counter.

Latest posts

Back