pergola help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsrtdrgn55

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster that just found this website when I was searching for information. My wife and I are planning on purchasing a Steel Pergola with canopy from home depot that we want to put in the backyard. Our yard is not too big and the plan is not to stay in this house for too long (our first home), maybe around 5 years or so, so we don't want to spend too much money to build an actual patio or pergola. We live in Rancho Cucamonga in Southern California and our area gets pretty windy certain times of year. It's usually around 20 or so mph but has gone up to 40-50 mph and gusts up to 60-70 mph. I want to make sure that the pergola we are getting will be secure, the canopy can get pushed back so we plan on having it pushed back or even take it off when we are not using it or when it's about to get windy. I wanted to put concrete around the posts (they come straight down) up to say, 36-48 inches and then buy faux stone panels to put around the concrete (my backyard has a concrete slab and grass area, this will go on the concrete slab). My question is as follows:

1.) am I ok with just setting the concrete around the post (that would take care of the wind issue) or would it be better to drill holes into the concrete and put rebar down and then put the concrete. Would it matter either way or is there any other way that is recommended or can be suggested that will make it look nice? Should I forget the concrete and just use anchors to bolt it to the concrete?

2.) All the concrete form tubes that I found are round, do they have square ones available as well or what would I be able to use for this?

3.) I have read about wood rotting due to water when it's in concrete or wrapped in concrete. The website states that the pergola has a aluminum and steel/metal design. Would I have any concerns about rot or any other issues wrapping the post in concrete (again, up to 36-48 inches).

Any other suggestions or recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've done a few DIY stuff around the house but this would be my first getting into concrete and what not. Thanks in advance.

I will tell you, having gone through a few canopies, tents, screen houses, that the ones you find in the big box stores just don't last long. The fabric is usually cheap and deteriorates in sunlight. So you would have gone through all this work only to have buy a new one next season. Research the product carefully; be sure that you can get the fabric off the frame easily. If you can, and you do it when the winds are expected, you'll find that the frame doesn't catch much wind and probably doesn't need to be permanently anchored to concrete. Staking it down may be all you need to do. However, if the wind comes by surprise...............at 70 mph!!?? It will probably shred your tent anyway.:hide:

Latest posts

Back