concrete around pergola help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsrtdrgn55

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster that just found this website when I was searching for information. My wife and I are planning on purchasing a Steel Pergola with canopy from home depot that we want to put in the backyard. Our yard is not too big and the plan is not to stay in this house for too long (our first home), maybe around 5 years or so, so we don't want to spend too much money to build an actual patio or pergola. We live in Rancho Cucamonga in Southern California and our area gets pretty windy certain times of year. It's usually around 20 or so mph but has gone up to 40-50 mph and gusts up to 60-70 mph. I want to make sure that the pergola we are getting will be secure, the canopy can get pushed back so we plan on having it pushed back or even take it off when we are not using it or when it's about to get windy. I wanted to put concrete around the posts (they come straight down) up to say, 36-48 inches and then buy faux stone panels to put around the concrete (my backyard has a concrete slab and grass area, this will go on the concrete slab). My question is as follows:

1.) am I ok with just setting the concrete around the post (that would take care of the wind issue) or would it be better to drill holes into the concrete and put rebar down and then put the concrete. Would it matter either way or is there any other way that is recommended or can be suggested that will make it look nice? Should I forget the concrete and just use anchors to bolt it to the concrete?

2.) All the concrete form tubes that I found are round, do they have square ones available as well or what would I be able to use for this?

3.) I have read about wood rotting due to water when it's in concrete or wrapped in concrete. The website states that the pergola has a aluminum and steel/metal design. Would I have any concerns about rot or any other issues wrapping the post in concrete (again, up to 36-48 inches).

Any other suggestions or recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've done a few DIY stuff around the house but this would be my first getting into concrete and what not. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site.
You have asked a few questions, so I will try.
If you use treated lumber that is rated for underground use, you can set it in concrete with out worry. Underground rated treated lumber can be identified by hundreds of knife cuts in the surfaces.
Those round tubes forms are sono tubes, they are grat for when you are intalling a colume out of the ground. The idea of concrete, is to fill all the viods in the hole so nothing moves. If you use a tub in the ground you still have voids to be filled around that. So I would just dig the holes and fill them with concrete, if you want it square and nice looking at the surface, just build a form out of 2x4s to set on top of the concrete when you are close to the surface and fill that with concrete to the surace. Your not but if you were dealing with any frost issues you would want that square to be smaller than the rest of the hole.
Drill and bolt it down with ancher bolts (Hilti Bolts)

Hi Neal and thank you for the response. The pergola I am purchasing is a aluminum/steel one and not wood. Would that make any type of difference as far as rotting or anything? Since I'm not planning on staying in the house long term (plan is around 5 years or so and we are in year 1), I'm hesitant to dig a hole in the concrete slab where the Pergola will be going. At first I was thinking of drilling holes and putting in rebar around the posts but am also considering just building the square frame and putting the concrete around the posts just to weigh it down and also put the faux panels around it. That way whoever purchases the home can have the option of taking it out to do what they want. Would there be any issue in that?

yeah that is another option. I just thought putting concrete around the posts would make it more secure since it goes up a bit higher (i was thinking about 36-48 inches high) and it gives it a more permanent look, without going full perm. The faux stone panels that I was looking at getting require a frame (their site suggests two L shaped wood brackets) to attach to so they would work with the concrete or without, just figured it might be better to attach them to concrete.

I have no experience with the product but it looks like you could just bolt down the unite, wrap the posts with treated lumber and use a post kit. I would sooner have something that can flex a little with the wind.

Latest posts

Back