attaching steel post to block column

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thames1948

Reaction score
Hello
I am building a sliding gate and not sure the best way to attach the steel post for the rollers to my block column. Should I drill though the post or weld tabs on side for short bolts? Also not sure what anchors to use. The column is filled and has rebar in it. The post is 2x2 14 gauge steel. One more question, is this a good place for the post or should I place it some where else? Seems like the gate will sit back about 5 inches with the post and 3 inch thick rollers.
thanks.

20150529_131908.jpg

20150529_131921.jpg

Last edited:
Those are not brick in column.

They are concrete slump blocks and have a face shell thickness of 1-1/2" to 2", so you need to be deeper than that to drill into the reinforced grouted core with rebar. You will possibly encounter some rebar, so that is the limiting depth for practical drilling. The good news is that the slump block themselves are of structure, so embedding is just a matter of using good grout. - Since it is supporting a moving gate use and epoxy for attaching the bolts to the columns.

Dick

Latest posts

Back