Removing paint from outside wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd021

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I have a garden wall that I want to strip the paint from. It's quite large and so doing it manually is out of the question. I've been reading about lots of chemicals and perhaps using a pressure washer to do it. Would something like this do? It says that it could strip paint in the article but I'm not sure how reliable that it.

Alternatively what chemicals would be best for removing paint?

I'm pretty clueless about all this sorry..

Thanks,
Shane

How big is your wall and what is it made from? A pressure washer will take paint off but it will also rip thru wood at a setting too high.
Will you be painting it again? if so all the paint need not be removed.

A pressure washer if it's brick, stone, concrete, etc. Less chemicals is a good thing. But it also depends what's growing under your "garden wall". The PW will tear up any soft things it hits and the paint chips will be scattered far & wide.
A garden wall with faded, spotty paint can look pretty charming, and eventually will have worn off without doing anything. Eventually.

On the other hand, a chemical stripper gives you the opportunity to work in small sections and catch the droppings in a drop cloth at the base of the wall. make sure to follow safety instructions, use gloves and goggles and old clothes.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chemical+paint+stripper&t=ffab&ia=about

Last edited:
Hi Shane,
This all depends on how long the paint has been in the house and what kind of shape it's in. Whether its brick wall or plain wall. If its brick wall, brick is a porous material, paint adheres very well to it.I think your first step would be heading off to the nearby paint store and rent a power-washer. This will blast away any paint that is loose on the wall. If most of the paint is gone, then maybe just a wire brush and some paint remover will get the job done.

if its not wood, why remove the paint? could be easier to plaster over the surface if your looking for an "unpainted" look. Otherwise just paint over it.

is clueless the latest drive-by poster to not feel any need to respond ?

Back