How to block weeds under a deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikasintl

Reaction score
We are putting a deck in backyard and I have read negative reviews about week blocker or landscape fabric ....

What are the other options to block weeds...

the height of deck would be only 1 feet from the ground...

I didn’t put anything under mine with a wait and see attitude, but my deck is about 30” and I figured I could always crawl under later if I needed to. So far nothing much has been growing under there as there isn’t enough sunlight and around the edges I use roundup.

I’m not a big fan of the landscape fabric in flower beds but under a deck covered with a layer of gravel should work good. Let the water thru and stop anything from growing.

I would slope the dirt away from the house, lay 6 mil poly down and cover that with a thin layer of gravel.

Landscape fabric comes in various qualities - just like most stuff. The retail stuff is pretty thin and does not hold up well in sunlight - which shouldn't be a problem under the deck. It needs to be covered, usually with gravel (covering it with dirt kind of defeats the purpose;) ). It also won't get any traffic there, so wear & tear won't be a problem.
But you could always seek out the pro grade stuff and will find it is thicker & tougher.
Poly will work but if the ground isn't sloped, the water will sit on the plastic.

use nothing, if no sunlight, nothing will grow,

Yeah gravel is a good option. If its dark little will grow but a good layer of gravel will make it harder for the weeds to grow.

I think adding in some gravel to the areas "affected" would also be the smarter option. And as everyone is saying it i may aswell too, without or with little sunlight plants cannot grow :'D

You can use a ground clear product that will retard all growth for at least a year. I use RM-45.

Extended control chemicals can be effective, but they tend to leach out into adjacent areas. Not a good choice if you have a garden bordering your deck.

Latest posts

Back