Help removing bathroom mirror

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv713

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove a mirror in downstairs bathroom that has four corner tabs. The stupid home builder probably has the mirror glue or caulk down to the wall. It's stuck so what can I do aside from smashing it to pieces to take it off?

The upper tabs should slide away from the glass and allow you to lift it off the lower ones. You don't usually find glue and tabs in the same place.

The upper tabs should slide away from the glass and allow you to lift it off the lower ones. You don't usually find glue and tabs in the same place.

One would think so but I removed all for tab and the mirror is glued shut against the Sheetrox.

Also tried a thin knife underneath that only helpe so much.

I just removed a 4' x 6' mirror. The idiot previous owner placed huge 4" dollops of mirror tar about every square foot of the damn thing. I ended up taping the entire mirror, then had to smash it to remove it. Since I was changing to two smaller wood frame mirrors, I had to mud and texture the entire wall afterwards. Good luck and as said before, use thick gloves and goggles.

Cut as Neal suggested or pour water down from top to soften paper and work it off. I also like wire idea. Do not smash it you and Selfie don't need 7 bad luck years.

Here's another one..it's almost too annoying from all the selfie she takes everyday.

image1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Bud's got a crush........;)

Maybe just a little.

Johnv
Thanks for the selfie man. And I meant it don’t break that mirror havasu will be keeping us posted on his luck going forward. You are having great luck by the looks of it I wouldn’t mess with that.
:D

Yea I'm not doing too bad but to be honest I'm quite greedy if you know what I mean :)

I will try the floss method if that doesn't help then I will try the wood shims. Not sure if I want to cut thru the dry wall but that may be the last resort.

Just leave those 4 corner things off for a day or two and in the middle of the night when you are sound asleep that sucker will come right off. That’s always how it works for me but only if I’m trying to save the mirror though.

Any way you do it you are going to have to get the drywall compound and tape out. sometimes its easier to put a whole piece in than fix a bunch of spots.

And nothing wrong with being greedy. :worthless: :welcome::D

K seven years starts today,come get me ..sigh.

WP_20150626_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see some scrape marks, but I also see a central smash mark. Did you just choose the express route, or did it break while you were trying to be gentle?

That reminds me of what I had to do. I had a friend over to help me try to pull the mirror. When we decided to bust it out, he was using my blue painter's tape to tape nearly every square inch of the glass before we broke it. I commented to use the tape sparingly because it was very expensive, and he came back at me with:

"You think this tape is expensive? Compare that to an ER visit and the cost of stitches!"

I used very thin , large head chisel under the mirror then inserted wood shims underneath to try to lift it. It cracked on the side first so I decided to break the whole thing with a hammer.

Hava su buy your good friend a beer. So glad I wore Goggle and glove. When I lift the mirror tiny shards literally popped toward me. I tell ya nothing beats the sound of glass breaking. Gave me the chills for sure. Btw Yall really got me thinking about the 7 yrs bad luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back