Concrete Garage Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I bought this house and the previous owner built a large addition to his garage. I am looking to separate out the spaces and make the front area more of a woodshop/shed and the back area maybe a game room. My concern is the floor in the front area, its has large cracks and I am looking for a cheap solution (sub $500), maybe plywood over the entire floor glued down? Maybe rubber tiles to cover the area. I am trying not to invest a lot of money into having professionals come out and fix it for thousands of $$$. Tempted to try and use self leveling concrete but I am not really sure how easy that would be. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

Just guessing but I doubt this isn't an easy fix. On the outside we see no concrete above the ground level and no gutters like Joe mentioned on the other thread. This is likely just a slab poored on the dirt that was there and water has easy access to get below it and freeze and thaw has done this damage. You will have to figure if I might be right and figure a way to get rid of the water and allow it to dry out (settle) before any fix is attemped or failure would be garrenteed.

Putting down plywood - or any wood product over that floor is a bad idea. As Neal mentioned, moisture is a big issue here, most likely. Put down a sheet of plastic for a while, and you'll see just how much moisture comes through the floor.
Since the floor is broken up anyway, it might be worth digging out a small test area in one of the cracks. See how far down the slab goes and what is underneath it (best hope is gravel or some other suitable base).

Without a lot of money to spend and for a work shop or a play room, I would just clean out all the cracks good and get any loose paint off the floor and get a tub of floor patching stuff and fill in the voids and then give it a coat of paint. It might last a long time or it might last a few years. It will let you use the rooms and you can wait and see how much moisture you may see. Covering it over without knowing would be the worst thing IMO.

Over the years I did a few like that. The most realistic solution is a good clean up followed by a couple of coats of Dash Patch or equivalent, then prime and paint. Unless you address the root cause of the problem it will return to some extent but overall it will be much better than it is now.

I would suggest you to do poly urea garage flooring!! works well on mine!!!

Hey there!
As per the present market rates, the average cost of concrete for a 400-square foot slab, the typical size for a two-car garage, ranges between $583 and $637 or between $1.46 and $1.59 per square foot.

The concrete slab should be four inches thick at least; it needs to be thicker if heavy equipment will rest on it. Building codes offer requirements for the concrete mix, which vary by region. The standards are expressed in terms of "compressive strength," which boils down to the amount of water used in the mix.
Thanks

I mostly agree with @DFBonnett.
The floor really is not so bad. There are a few badly chipped out cracks, but they can be filled. The previous color is butt-ugly, but that can be changed.
Painting is the cheapest, but paint (or similar) is unlikely to last.
Just understand this is a band-aid, not a fix.

I never heard of the product he mentions, so I can't comment on it.
I would just patch, not apply self levelling compound to the entire floor -- its not as easy as some YouTube video suggest, hardens extremely fast.

Last edited:
Hey there!
As per the present market rates, the average cost of concrete for a 400-square foot slab, the typical size for a two-car garage, ranges between $583 and $637 or between $1.46 and $1.59 per square foot.

The concrete slab should be four inches thick at least; it needs to be thicker if heavy equipment will rest on it. Building codes offer requirements for the concrete mix, which vary by region. The standards
polished concrete floors redding are expressed in terms of "compressive strength," which boils down to the amount of water used in the mix.
Thanks

Last edited:
Uh... guys... this garage floor repair thread is SEVEN YEARS OLD !!!

Latest posts

Back