Need Advice on Cooling Warehouse

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Hey friends! I'm taking over a 5000 square foot warehouse, 18' ceilings, on lease, and want to cool it. What is the best option? I'm just leasing so want to go with the cheapest option.

Swamp cooler will probably not work with humidity.

How about just fans or 30 portable C units.

Run Sprinklers on the roof. I have a friend who owns a fish farm and he claims it dropped the temp in his fish house ten degrees on a 90° day.

Of course you would probably be arrested for using the water.

What will the usage of the building be? If you are in Texas and need that size building and that high of ceiling and need the whole place cooled I would suggest finding another place if that one wasn’t insulated for AC. If you need a place there to be cool for you to work but the bulk of the building is storage I will suggest a small shop type office built inside the building with a small window AC unit. All the above answers will work but cost is going to kill you with 18’ ceilings.

That’s my well thought out and practical advice.

PS I do believe the slaves in Texas are no longer Nubian.

Sorry I don't watch movies or television or listen to music or read books, so unsure what reference that is.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidai...-and-Remote-FFRH2522R2/205870217?N=5yc1vZc4lu

So this says it will cool a 1600sq foot area. Will two of these guys make a dent in the temperature of the building?

Really, Burt Reynolds...you need to get out a little more...:beer:

What's there now? Insulation, type of construction? How much glass exposure?

Some how, this is my impression of what Texas is really like.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3uX58tQ7mQ[/ame]

Last edited:
Remember those are estimates for an insulated home with eight foot ceilings.

Also depends on what you're loading it up with. If it's servers and stuff, then I hope you have tech support on hand. (Don't know what else you do beside admin-ing)

There are numerous alternatives when air conditioning a warehouse. Depending upon what your needs are, you can bring down the temperature of the whole warehouse, or individual work spaces to help your employees enjoy a more tolerable work environment. Temperature, humidity, and drafts are all things to take into consideration when attempting to make a warehouse environment pleasant. Installing industrial size air conditioners is the most certain technique of cooling a warehouse, but it is also the most expensive. You can go with draft Stoppers & humidifiers also.

Good Luck...!!

5000x18=90,000 cubic feet, 1600x8=12,800 cubic feet, 90,000/12,000= 7, Factor in lack of insulation factor I would double the requirement. Factor in Texas heat and sun I would double that again. My guess is 28 of the home depot units would about do it. Two will make a small dent.
The nice thing about window units though is if they are blowing right on you they will cool you off even if they don’t cool down the building.

You know you are getting old when 1982 movies are too old for people to remember. How come Burt looks so old now but Dolly looks the same? And are you saying Texas isn’t like that?

Latest posts

Back