Garage door now stops going up and down

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notelvis

Reaction score
We were a little to anxious and pushed the door as it was opening while we were in the garage before it went all the way up.

Checked and tightened the hinges - many were loose. Silicon sprayed the track and rollers. Looks like there are one or two panels (rolls up style) that were push out toward the outside of the house. I pushed those back in a bit very carefully. Changed both the up and down power on the opening but seems to be getting worse.
Will try the door without opening attached to see how it rolls - seems ok but it does sound a bit noisier now.

Will post tomorrow. Welcome input.
Thank you, very much
NE

What is it doing now, There should be a handle on a rope that when pulled will disconnect the door from the chain and then you can see if the motor will operate.

Are the panels bent? if the panels aren't aligned, then the rollers will be stressed against the track.
My opener is pretty old, but the manual says to use a lithium grease instead of silicone. But I don't hold much hope will lubrication will solve the problem. Got pictures?

There is one maybe two panels bent. Any way to bend them back so it opens normally? Wishful thinking? It is very slight but still bent. Probably the very bottom is the most bent since it hit the van. Van was going very slow but it did bend.
Thanks
NE

I will move it in the morning while disconnected from the garage door opener and report back.

At the inside top of the top panel you should see a piece of steel that runs the width of the door. This is a stiffener, aka- strut. You will have to add one of these to the bowed panels to straighten them out. Rebalancing may have to occur after installation. The opener is struggling against the resistance of two panels locked together by the bowed tounge and groove.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I looked at it today.

The garage door, while heavy - been decades since I've had to open one by hand! - appeared to roll smoothly on the tracks. What was odd was the fact that the door didn't want to stay up once I opened it while it was not connected to the garage door opener. Is that a spring issue??

I observed that the top panel where it attaches to the door opener is "pulled in" about an inch from the door opening. About 1 foot total. I tried pushing it up to make it close closer to the house.

Thanks
NE

Yes that sounds like a balance problem. The springs are the one place I requimend you get a pro. They are arm breakers.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpNT0zX5NF8[/ame]

Does the motor run thru a cycle when it is dissengaged? There is a reset button on the motor I think.

I had a garage repairman come out. He adjusted the springs and lubricated the hinges. Worked great for a few days but today it stopped again several times on the way up.
Suggestions?
Thanks
NE

Latest posts

Back