Shower drainpipe....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonytwotimes

Reaction score
Here's another one for you guys...
Converting a shower tub into straight shower. Need to install a new drain in the middle of the pan. Everything easily accessible is 1 1/2" pipe.... Code says I need 2" for shower. Am I crazy to want to just work with 1 1/2", rather than have to get crazy working within walls to convert everything to 2"?

First thing I'd do is look for a shower pan with an offset drain, so you don't have to replumb the drain.

And with a name like tonytwotimes, shouldn't you say "....youse guys"? :D (No offense, my brother likes to call himself "Frankie Donuts")

Yo Tony! You can stay with 1 1/2" and nobody will put you in jail .... this is a small rehab. If you were doing a major re-do that required permits you would have to bring it up to code.

Thanks guys, we are putting in a tile shower and the contractor asked to have the drain put right in the middle. Would it make sense to use a 2" drain and trap and connect that right to the 1 1/2"? Or is that no better than sitcking with 1 1/2" through the whole thing?

tony, if you are having tile put in, then i assume yo are not using a shower pan, but are making one onsite with motor,,leave the drain where it is,,you da boss,,,if you want the drain on the end,

whine y tile guy gotta put it where you want it.

only difference,,the shower will be 1/4'' higher on one end.

HrmSZzr.jpg

Frodo is right. A custom mud pan will allow you to keep the drain where it is. If he wants to rip up the floor to move the drain and THEN put in a custom drain, what is the point? Unless the placement from the center line then keep it in place. As to pipe, you will use a 2" drain and a reducer to get down to 1 1/2" anyway.

Latest posts

Back