Ideas needed on cemented area underneath deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traylor1

Reaction score
Hi all:

I have a cement area which is directly below the deck of the house I purchased a few years back. Other than an extremely large exit area for the basement, we have been trying to figure out the purpose for this area, and never have been able to. I am trying to make the area more appealing if I decide to sell.

I really want to have a use for this other than storing pots or hoses. The problem is the area fills with a lot of dirt and leaves and needs a yearly cleaning. So I wanted to put it out to you all and see if might have any ideas for a good use for this area.

I have a link with photos at http://imgur.com/a/5OeJA#rsLhmUx

I would install rails and balusters, matching the ones above it, before some child takes a tumble into that pit.

Might have been the patio before the deck was built. You didn't say how much headroom the patio has. Is the deck high enough for this to be useable space? You could build a watershed roof under the deck and have a nice covered outdoor living space below. Put up a low retaining wall made with garden blocks; just enough to block the leaves from blowing in.

I think you are stuck, just cleaning a few times a year, but that hand rail is a must as it is more than 18"

I think you are stuck, just cleaning a few times a year, but that hand rail is a must as it is more than 18"

Yeah, it really surprises me that the railing was not a part of the original build. Definitely in the plans though.

I would close it all in put a door on it with lock and a ceiling that would catch water from above and direct it out and use it for bike storage, lawn chairs and all that kind of stuff.

Latest posts

Back