HELP!!! Why would anyone do this?!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vbaby20

Reaction score
The previous homeowners to my home had apparently done some remodeling in the kitchen. I'm now finding out these cosmetic changes were not done very well so I'm having to replace certain items. I recently discovered that the countertops are actually a laminate or vinyl that they installed over....GRANITE! Who does that?! It appears to have been adheared with some type of heavy duty glue, as one area is now welting and exposing the granite....hence my discovery. My question is: I'm not sure in what condition the granite is but I'd much prefer to remove the laminate. I'm scared its badly damaged or what they may have been trying to cover up by doing this. What is your advice? Should I go ahead and rip up the laminate and expose possible issues or should I just leave it alone? The last thing I want to do is replace countertops if I don't need to.

To be honest I really want to. Do you have any suggestions on how I can do this without damaging the granite?

You are sure it is granite? When you look up from below thru a base unit you see the bottom side of stone?

Can you post pictures?

People do all kind of crazy things but that’s a first for me. If it is stone you should be able to get glue off it without hurting it I would think. Heat will soften a lot of glues and shouldn’t hurt the stone.

I agree about removing it but the reasons for covering it in the first place would be a curiosity. As bud pointed out you should do a bit of investigating. Remove the base cabinet drawers and get a good look at the underside, not only for any damage but the color and style of granite they covered.
With some peoples taste, you may have covered it also.
As for damaging the surface...if it is granite, it's a pretty durable surface. Any minor damage can get polished out. You may be able to scrape off any leftover glue.

Looking under the cabinet did not occur to me! I'll definitely do that. I don't have pictures of the close up but will load some soon.

I'll probably be ready to do in the next few weeks....got tons other things to take care of first....I'll let you know how that works out! Lol keeping fingers crossed.

I'll probably be ready to do in the next few weeks....got tons other things to take care of first....I'll let you know how that works out! Lol keeping fingers crossed.

This is worse than waiting for the next season of Orange is the new Black to come out on DVD. The suspense is killing me. :eek:

Tear it off!! IMHO, laminate granite look is the worst, especially in a lighter than black color. I agree that there must be something underneath they tried to cover. Perhaps some cracks or chips in the granite?

I'm dying to see what's under there!

My bet is a crack they tried to conceal. The laminate/vinyl did not adhere so now you have a larger problem.

Scrape off the covering. The glue might be removable by spraying acetone on it and using a stiff putty knife. However, I think bad things await you. You might have to remove the counter tops and replace them.

Keep sending pics and stay in touch

Yep rip it off. Then see if you can sand some of it back to remove the glue damage. Worth a go :)

Back