Recommendations for order of home improvements

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piratey

Reaction score
I got married last year and wife wants:
1) granite counter tops for the kitchen instead of the tile counter tops I currently have. The tile makes it hard for her to do her baking and rolling out of dough.
2) hardwood or laminate floors instead of the current carpet, and tile in the kitchen and bathrooms instead of the linoleum.
3) new paint on interior walls

What order should I do this? I've helped with an engineered floor install for my uncle and have a general idea of how to do it, and paint should be DIY also. I have a buddy who is a master tile setter and can get him to do the tile work. Not sure if he knows someone who does granite installs or if 'll have to find someone myself. Thoughts on the order of improvements?

I agree with Paul, just for the fact that dealing with old tile and fitting the new counter, you could do dammage.

You'll probably want to coordinate the kitchen counter with the floors, so think of those together, even if you do them one at a time. If you're tiling wall-to-wall in the kitchen (moving the cabinets out of the way) then of course you should do the floor first.
If you're a sloppy painter, do that before you put down a new floor.

We've been doing quite a bit of similar work in our house, and I have found I prefer painting last. Yes, you sometimes have to be more careful to cover up flooring or objects, but I swear every time I have painted a room and then done something to it afterwards, I always end up touching up paint. The touchups just never look as good as the original smooth paint job. Plus I am really big on cleaning walls before painting. If you wait, then you can be sure you'll get all the dust that will inevitably make its way onto everything.

We also hired a professional faux painter to do a bathroom. I thought she would want to come in before we did things like changed light switches. She said they always like to paint after absolutely everything except hanging pictures on the wall. I saw what she meant after having some electricians make scratches around light fixtures and sockets.

Back