Best option for gap between tile and carpet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punktestern

Reaction score
So, our carpet has been coming up for ages now, but it's starting to be annoying. It adjoins the tiled entrance in the instance where it's a worry (the rest have covers/transitions, this one doesn't). I'm not well-versed in the terms, so I hope the photos help. The widest part where the carpet is frayed is about 3, 3.5 cm from the start of the tile.

Um... Yeah. Something to keep the carpet safe/from fraying more and to cover up the gap that's appearing. I don't even know what my options are, nor what would be best for the situation. :- \

Thank you for any and all help!

Width.JPG

Up.JPG

Gap.JPG

If they don't answer here, there is a sister site, flooringforum.com

My guess is that you are looking for a threshold piece that is cut to compensate for differences in height.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgJPrqizg0[/ame]

Last edited:
Basically, the video covers it, but I think you're going to need a wider transition strip. I'm also not sure if there is a height difference between the carpet and the tile. That would benefit from a strip that has an angle built into it. You should probably try to match the other transition strips for aesthetic reasons. The big box stores usually have a rack of these strips in the back of the flooring section.

They make one that’s 3” wide mostly all I see are silver and gold color. I have spray painted a silver one before to get something that blends in better. Depending on your sub floor and carpet and pad type the nails that come with them sometimes don’t work so good and are imposable to remove without damaging the strip. I have used screws to hold them down by countersinking the nail holes a bit.

I didn't like the idea of using a hammer so close to the edge of the tile. I would have used screws.

Yeah, I was watching the guy hammer and thinking "What if he cracks the tile?"

Hopefully this has been helpful.

Latest posts

Back