What wood stain should I use?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulf615

Reaction score
So I have a room that is painted a Georgian silver and It has white trim. My bed has gray sheets and a black comforter. Also the bed frame is wood and I will be putting a lot of wood items in the room. so i was wondering what wood stain would match the room. I was planing on using minwax water based clear tint base meaning I can bring it up to the counter and tint the stain any color. But what color would blend well with pine and match the preexisting colors in the room?

Last edited:
So the colors in the room so far are silver black white and a wood color. What should the color of the wood be?

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures? Is flooring in any other part of the house a consideration (for flow)? I am a big fan of darker stains in all settings because I think it tends to compete less with other shades of wood furniture.

We have a kind of amber honey colored wood floor in our kitchen/family room. Our kitchen cabinets are a dark rustic wood. It works, but I really wish the floors were darker because right now they just pop out.

Well now that I thought of it I might just stain all the wood black which is a little boring but at least it will match the room. The floor is just a white tile all the way throughout the basement there is hardwood floor on the upper level but that's completely separate. Here's two pics of the room (none of the furniture is going to stay there besides maybe the monkey picture). I was also thinking of staining the wood the same color as the monkey picture but there's going to be a lot of wood and too much of that color ruins it plus it is a very risky move because that color doesn't match with much else.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1438211496.402358.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1438211525.746560.jpg

I'm also thinking of putting in a led light cus I can't stand yellowish light. Any recommendations on the light bulb (soft white, day light, warm white)

Last edited:
Of the three you listed, day light bulbs have the least yellow tint. You are looking for bulbs with a high 'color temperature'

Ya that's what I figured but I was also wondering if that's too bright for a bedroom. Like I just figured the soft white was just as white but a little dimmer

Or would the lumens just effect how bright it shines

Last edited:
I like the daylight bulbs, but the wife isn't so comfortable with them. it is a matter of taste. They actually just appear to be brighter - a lumen is a lumen is a lumen. But because the light is "crisper" it may feel brighter. I use one in my office, but not in my bedroom; partly because of the wife and partly because the warmer light is more soothing.

BTW: you can delete posts from the edit dialogue.

Last edited:
Do you use a normal bulb in your bedroom or an led soft white. Also a lower watt bulb produces less light so for the room i might just get the 40 watt equivalent of the daylight bulb instead of the 60 watt one.(the light fixture in that room takes two bulbs so it will be even more powerful)

Last edited:
If you go to edit there is a delete message there and you don't need a reason. I just deleted mine.

I still can't do it. where is the delete button once you click edit. It might be because your have a membership or ur a moderator or something

Last edited:
Anyways.... My BR lights are still incandescent becuz they are candelabra base. and they don't die often.
Thinking about your stain question; have you considered something beside a stain; like a white wash?

Well I'm not a big fan of white. Especially if like half the stuff in the room would end up being white. Like Im putting in a wooden fish tank stand a desk and the bed frame is wood so I think a black would look better

Latest posts

Back