Newly framed bathroom wall out of square - should I have contractor redo?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drvelocity

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a new bathroom install and have hit a bit of a snag with a bathroom wall being out of square. This bathroom was just framed from scratch, and as you can see from the attached photo one corner is pretty badly out of square. I already had to have the contractor fix the studs once (before the drywall went up) as they were even further out of whack - the stud in the bad corner was about 2 inches further out that it was supposed to be. But obviously it's still not even close to being square.

This happens to be the side of the bathroom where a tiled shower will be, and since we're using 2"x2" floor tiles, I'm concerned about how this is going to look with that much of a running/angled gap on that side. The last thing I want are little angled tile pieces running along that side. Would you have the contractor redo that section of drywall to make sure it's square? Or would you consider this within acceptable tolerances?

Thanks!

IMG_5950.jpg

I would have him redo it. It would be different if he was redoing a room that was built out to start with, even then they could and should get it square. you are showing an inch in 2 feet. Thats going to show in the tile IMO.

I would have him redo it. It would be different if he was redoing a room that was built out to start with, even then they could and should get it square. you are showing an inch in 2 feet. Thats going to show in the tile IMO.

Thanks bud for the input, I will ask him to redo that then.

Anybody that knows his stuff knows, what ever is wrong make bathrooms and kitchens square.
And welcome to the site.

It messes with my OCD as well and that's before I even get the tile in haha. Thanks for the welcome Neal. :)

My grandfather was a plaster and when someone questioned his work he used to check it and say “That’s plumb or a little over plumb.”

So, on average this bathroom is square, a little more here and less there.;)

Yep down in the states we shoot for square and sometimes we give you more than you asked for and do it over square. We don’t charge extra for over square.

Well the contractor came over today and basically told me to use an increasing thickness of thinset to angle the wall tile out to keep the wall tile square with the floor tile in combination with slowly angling the tile to match that line. I've got a tiler coming over on the weekend, I guess I'll just get their opinion on whether or not it can be done tastefully. :(

Sure, get someone else to correct his mistake. Boy, does this piss me off!

I made a lot of money correcting other people's mistakes.

Hi there,

You should hire an experienced and licensed contractor for this renovation work because an expert can explain and recommend you the best options. Its their job to provide the best home improvement services at very affordable rates. For more information contact us immediately. Contractor Quotes is your solution!!

Thanks...

Welcome to the site, as this is a do it yourself site, we do ecourage people to do thew work themselves. This job was done by a pro and maybe it would have been done better by a homeowner that is not afraid to ask for instruction.

Back