Door frame issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remout

Reaction score
I'm trying to install my first ever interior door. It's a 32" wide by 80" tall door. The frame is a very tight 32 1/2" by just over 80" opening. The door jam slides in but it's very tight and there is no room for shims on top. The door swings easily but is not even on top. That is the gap between the top of the door and the jam is greater on the none hinge side.

Not sure how to proceed. Maybe make the frame opening bigger so I can use shims and square it up? If so, should I use a reciprocating saw?

Back story is we just bought this house. It's not got any interior doors installed. Drywall is in and floors are in.

Thanks!

Unless that jamb moves freely, you will never get a good adjustment on it. Shave away, using whatever tools you have.

Unless that jamb moves freely, you will never get a good adjustment on it. Shave away, using whatever tools you have.

Yup, that was it. Opened up frame and it was straight forward how to shim it up. Thanks!

Your rough frame size was short to fit doors from years ago and the width of the rough framing is alway door plus 2 inches so your door without the frame should be 30".
I know you have it already, just adding a little for others to read.

the door is to big;)
If the door is 30" x 80" the rough opning is usually 32" x 83" to allow for the frame, what measurements are you working with.
but now I see you are just another spammer.

Latest posts

Back