Painting Oak Baseboard Trim

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juneb1022

Reaction score
The person at Home Depot told me I do not need to prime the trim (bare oak) before painting if I give the trim 1 coat, let it dry, sand it a little, apply second coat. Is this true?

The person at Home Depot told me I do not need to prime the trim (bare oak) before painting if I give the trim 1 coat, let it dry, sand it a little, apply second coat. Is this true?

Don't believe a word of it.

Clean, lightly sand, clean, prime with Zinsser's 123, ( sand and clean again if you are real anal)THEN paint.

If it were any quality paint, ie, not from HD, you MIGHT get away with that very bad advise.

SW sells about 20 different types of paint, you can do what you want but if I was doing it

Clean, lightly sand, clean, prime with Zinsser's 123, ( sand and clean again if you are real anal)THEN paint.

SW sells about 20 different types of paint, you can do what you want but if I was doing it

This^. My preference is for an oil based primer on new wood but a quality water based like 123 will do fine also.
OP, you have just one chance to get the first coat, the most important coat, right. A dedicated primer is the correct choice.

Last edited:
Thanks, What H Depot said didn't sound right. I want it to last and look good, primer yes I agree.

I also notice a big difference between Sherwin William's and HD. I have never really compared paints side by side until this bathroom project. One is really sticky even after drying over 48 hours. The other (SW's) is nice and smooth after 48 hours, and a little less odor too.

Latest posts

Back