Corner Studs Need Replacing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yev

Reaction score
I've discovered a major issue with the corner of my home. The clapboard was starting to deteriorate at the edge near the corner trim boards. I was able to press the clapboard into the house. I pulled off the clapboard and trim to find the OSB sheathing has completely deteriorated in the area and two of the corner studs have severe water damage. The interior stud which makes up the c-channel end of the wall frame is in good condition, no rot. Additionally the sole plate and top plate has water damage about 8" away from the edge of the corner.

I believe water was getting behind the clapboard at the splice joints of the two corner trim pieces, and the builder had not put house wrap in a roughly 12"X12" area near the trim splice joints.

The house is 2x6 studs with TJI joists.

What are some methods for supporting the corner of the house from the exterior to perform a replacement of the damaged structure?

Thanks for the help,
Yev

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Welcome to the site and sorry about your problem.

It looks somewhere between noit so good and bad, have you done a poke test with a screwdriver to see how mushy the wood is?
There appears to be a beam for the garage just to the left can you reach the studs under that beam and assure us that they are solid?
Which direction do the floor joist run inside?
The two studs on the corner or in the wrong order from what we would expect to see. So check to see if there is another one just inches away from that one, right behind it.

There should be "kick out" flashing at the end of the upper wall before the corner boards. This is a piece of step flashing that diverts water away from the corner board.

Thanks for the response guys!

There was kickout flashing installed where my side entry/garage roof line meets the main house. I believe the water had entered thru cracks in the trim and was able to reach OSB sheathing that was not house wrapped.

The side entry/garage roof line ties into 3 studs ( no spacing between the studs) which are all in good condition.

The 2x6 that you see the 5.5 inch face of was not taking any load..I basically was able to pull it out by hand and I put in a new stud while I figure this mess out. The old stud was very soft, it was dry rotted about 50% through its thickness.

The floor joists run parallel with the exterior wall which has all the windows in the picture.

I put together a quick model of what studs, sole plate and top plate have damage. I did not model in the 3 pack of studs where the garage roof line tie in.

From what I can tell I think I should be able to remove the damaged studs and portions of damaged sole plate and top plates without bracing. I was thinking of adding studs at the edge of the unrotted portions of the 2x6 uppers and lowers before removing the studs. This would put a stud 8 inches from the adjacent studs which are in good condition. From the technical specs for the i-joists , they should be able to handle a 8" cantilever..which would be the condition if I were to cut out the damaged part of the corner wall framing. I do have access to lap boards to the web of the i-joists which would give it more ability to handle a moment.

What do you guys think? Or what are typical methods for this type of repair?

My kitchen is on the interior side of this corner...so it would a pain to remove cabinets and counter top to install a temp wall on the inside of the corner.

Thanks again for any help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The stud that was flat facing us in you first photo was not need and was likely just a mistake when the wall was built. If you do the work in one day you will have no problem removing all of this bad stuff and replacing it. There is allso a 1" thick rim joist nailed to the outside of the floor beams.
Pick up a quart of end grain treatment for treated wood, (Paints like water), and paint it on all the exposed old wood before you rebuild. That will make sure you have killed anything else left in there. Put plast sheeting, sill gasket , roofing or something between concrete and bottom plate.
You can just slide a 2x4 on the flat behind your new joint in the osb.
Good luck.:)

There should be "kick out" flashing at the end of the upper wall before the corner boards. This is a piece of step flashing that diverts water away from the corner board.

Could you show a picture or give a link showing how it should look installed?

Thanks,
Yev

Latest posts

Back