Bathroom Fan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolcat

Reaction score
I'm a new home owner and new to DIY. I'm trying to figure out why my bathroom fan sounds like it's rattling extremely loud when it's turned on and how I can take it down and replace it. I also would like to replace the timer looking switch for it to a double switch which it includes the bathroom light..Your advice and instruction is much appreciated..

Last edited:
Bathroom fans do wear out. That rattling could be the "squirrel cage" fan which has broken. The new fan costs about $10 at an appliance parts house.

Remove the cover in the ceiling and look for the cage. If it is accessible, you will have to remove bolts holding the motor and pull it out. The wiring might prevent removing the motor entirely. No problem, just get the cage. The cage is pressed onto the drive shaft. The cage plastic inevitably fails. So, look on the cage for the model # and note the manufacturer. Call the parts house. If they don't have it, hit the internet.

When you get the cage, you will have to press it onto the drive shaft. Use a soft jawed clamp. Put on side on the end of the motor housing. Slide a drywall knife between the end of the cage and the other end of the clamp. This gives you a firm, flat surface. Gently work the clamp to slide the cage onto the drive shaft. You want the shaft to peak out the hole in the cage center.

Test mount the fan, apply power. Adjust press fit or fan location so there is no rattling.

Pop a beer.

FAN.jpg

I have always bought the whole fan assembly new and not changed the guts. But if you have a high end fan and it matches the rest of the bath Villa’s method sounds good. You can easily get rid of the timer switch and put in a double switch with one switch controlling the fan. The light will require a new cable run up to it. That might be simple or it might take a bit of work. If you can post a picture we might be able to help better with running the wires. Then you can pop a beer.

As a new homeowner, I am assuming he is not ready for the damage to his bathroom ceiling. If possible, I urge people to fix-in-place when they can. Of course, if you want the joy of demolition, rehanging, installation, drywall repair and paint .... then go for it!

Sometimes the fan is to big for the duct work and chops the air.
That is why the display modals in the stores are always quiet, no duct work.

Back