Options for installing Vinyl Siding/Asphalt roofing over post frame garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hello All - I am considering a major facelift to my Post frame garage and wanted to get thoughts/opinions on what I am considering doing.

We would like to remove the metal wall panels (as seen in the pictures) and replace with Vinyl Siding on the exterior. As this is a post frame construction, there is no sheathing along the framing in which to attach vinyl siding to, so I am wondering if this poses a problem and whether sheathing could easily be added without having to add 2x4 studding along the perimeter. Alternatively, is there a way to add vinyl siding over the existing metal, and fasten the siding to the metal?

The roof is also metal and I am debating whether to replace with more metal, or install asphalt roofing. If I install asphalt roofing, I would need to add plywood over the trusses as currently the metal roof is fastened directly to the trusses.

IMG_20150830_180639570.jpg

IMG_20150830_181041447.jpg

You can do anything. If I had your building and wanted vinyl siding and a shingle roof I would sheath the whole building after removing the tin. I don’t think you will need to add studs just to hang the siding from the sheathing should work. You might have to add a few more pieces around the outside to have something to nail to at the ends of your sheets.

A lot of expense for beautification of a pole barn. If the tin is shot on the roof you could replace that and paint the whole building on the outside a color to match what you want and trim it out better and end up with a good looking building for a lot less.

Is it just for better looks or living space?
Water at the ground level will be a problem for the wood sheeting. You will need a gap between the siding and the ground . Slope away from the building and gutters to devert the water.
Are you adding windows?

Thanks Bud for the feedback!

Neal - The improvements to the garage are just for aesthetic purposes so that it more closely matches the color/style of our house, it will not be used as living space.

I don't plan on adding any extra windows, as there are the the two overhead garage doors in the front, and an entry door in the rear of the garage.

If I remove the existing tin siding, put up the sheathing, should I then add some type of vapor barrier over the outside of the sheathing, before installing siding over it? I wasn't sure if this would be required as this will not used as living space. Would you recommend just replacing the tin roofing with the same, or adding sheathing to the trusses and replace with asphalt roofing?

Thanks again for the feedback!

I'd try painting it first. The roof might need a treatment for the rust if that is what is on the top. If you wanted to go the vinyl route, I wonder if instead of nailing it to an OSB underlayment you couldn't just screw into the high points on the metal with self tapping screws? As long as you don't draw them tight to the siding to allow it to expand and contract with the temperature swings it should work out.

Screw the siding to the existing metal. Metal roof give longer life than asphalt.

Vinyl over tin is interesting but I havn't seen it done and I would be worried about the expansion and contraction of the metal. Might not be noticable with the metal but the vinyl might react with ripples??

Vinyl is not very water tight so you always want a house wrap like tyvac behind it.

Vinyl over tin is interesting but I havn't seen it done and I would be worried about the expansion and contraction of the metal. Might not be noticable with the metal but the vinyl might react with ripples??

Vinyl is not very water tight so you always want a house wrap like tyvac behind it.

True they would have different expansion and contraction rates. Personally, I'm not a fan of vinyl siding. I've hung a bit of it on volunteer projects, but I've never owned a house with it.

True they would have different expansion and contraction rates. Personally, I'm not a fan of vinyl siding. I've hung a bit of it on volunteer projects, but I've never owned a house with it.

Most houses we build have vinyl in the end. The biggest problem is usaully "who" is installing it and how much they care. The little upgrade we see now is wood corners and window trim, done to hide all the J trim.

In this case the option will be to match the house so it's not up for discussion.
I think the cost of 7/16 osb is low enough to take the extra step of removing the metal and maybe it can be sold.

I know it would cost more, but I personally would have something under the new roof to add enough support for someone to walk on if they need to go fix a leak or get up there for any reason. I have tin on my barn and workshop and I nearly fell through it when trying to mop on some sealant stuff. It may be more expensive, but I think the added safety is worth it. That's just me though.

I agree that you should put up tyvek or something on plywood or whatever you use for the walls under the vinyl. Make sure the wood does not directly touch concrete though. Made that mistake on an exterior area around my workshop. Now the plywood is all warped and water damaged-- some of it actually came off. But then, we just put up plain plywood without treating and even though I painted some of it, the moisture still got to it.

So I would be able to just fasten the OSB sheathing to the existing girts, and not worry about installing 2x4 studs along the perimeter?

Yes. You may need to add a few more girts. The bottom one should be PT and start the sheathing away from the ground. Cover with house wrap or tar paper and nail up your siding. The stuff you take off you could reuse on the inside maybe or make a ceiling from it or just sell it for scrap.

So I would be able to just fasten the OSB sheathing to the existing girts, and not worry about installing 2x4 studs along the perimeter?

You will want to fill in the corners but yes it should work fine with 7/16 osb.

Latest posts

Back