water stains on third floor under attic but inaccesible

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

credclover

Reaction score
Our 3 story town home is relatively new. We live in Houston and I thought the builder was reputable but we have started have problems.

Yesterday I noticed a stain on my master closet and then also a stain around a light fixture in the secondary bathroom.

I called a plumber and he said it is a slow leak of rain water because the area was completely dry when he was up there. I call ed the builder thinking that that had a nice roof warranty but the builder stated it was for only one year. Really shocked by this as I thought roofs had at least 5 years.

The roof is red tile concrete roof and after calling around many roofers stated that they avoid this type because they leak.

Any way I cannot get anyone to come out and fix it for until at least a week and we are leaving for a family holiday overseas.

Is there any way to protect the ceiling while gone? I asked my husband to put a tarp in the attic but he said the area is inaccessible.:mad:

unnamed (2).jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Call your insurance company, they should coiver you for the dammage done by water although they wouldn't cover the roof repair. They usaully send some one in to identify the problem and dry it out while doing something temperary to stop it.

I had no idea the insurance company would cover this. Thank you. I will call them tomorrow.

A freind of mine thought she had a roof leak after a big storm, the insurance company sent in someone to tare down drywall to find the leak which turned out to be someone showering with the shower door open, it cost her the deductable, this year the ulility sink was left running over and water got under the hard wood floor, 50 sq ft was damaged, they are going to cover all new on two floors $24k.

Take a picture of the roof from the ground. Usually, penetrations like plumbing vent soil stacks, valleys, walls fireplaces are going to be the most likely source of a leak. Just stand back till you get the roof scape in the frame.

Hi, yes I am a member of a HOA. We are a small group of 4 town homes and our HOA payments are 2000 a year.

And why is the HOA not involved in taking care of this?

Adding a tarp in the attic is not a great idea.
Worst case, roof still leaks, water gets in and lays on the tarp and causes it to sag between the trusses, then what?
Your stuck with ponds of water.
"Inaccesible" or is it really hard to get to.
Someone should be able to climb up in the attic and look for staining on the underside of the roof, anyplace there's vents, or any penetration through the roof if you shut the light off you may be able to see day light.
Anything outside the HOA should be taking care of. That's part of what those high fees are set aside for.

And why is the HOA not involved in taking care of this?

It would depend on the type of townhouse the OP has. If it is a condo townhouse where the HOA owns the outside of the structure and does all maintenance it should be covered by the HOA. If it isn't a condo type unit the homeowner could be responsible for the exterior maintenance. With the two townhomes I've owned I was responsible for the exterior of my house. I would need to get approval for changes to the exterior but I owned it and I was responsible for maintenance.

Back