Fence with Curb/Retaining Wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supershine

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

How can I add something to act as a retaining wall or curb to a new fence I am building? The soil I want to hold back varies in height from about 2 inches to about 6 inches higher on the finished side of the fence.

I was thinking of stacking two 4 x 4s and toenailing them to the 4 x 4 fence posts with something like 8 inch spikes. Also, I am considering driving rebar through the bottom 4 x 4 to anchor it to the ground.

One of the reasons for doing this is to provide support for interlocking which will be placed on the finished side of the fence which is also has the higher grade.

I welcome any better ideas than mine or any improvements.

Thanks!

Are you planning on the posts being deeper than the frost, I think four feet in your area.
You won't be dealing with a lot of pressure so I think your plan will work fine, don't think you need rebar.

Make sure all your wood is treated for underground use. It is the stuff with all the knife cuts in the surface.

I put in "railroad ties" as an edging to my paver patio about fifteen years ago and it is still holding up nicely. However, the PT 2x4 that I used to create a straight edge where it met the old walkway has totally decomposed. You can use landscape spikes to nail it down to the ground. Pre-drill the ties first. The RR ties are approx 8"x8"x8'

I put in "railroad ties" as an edging to my paver patio about fifteen years ago and it is still holding up nicely. However, the PT 2x4 that I used to create a straight edge where it met the old walkway has totally decomposed. You can use landscape spikes to nail it down to the ground. Pre-drill the ties first. The RR ties are approx 8"x8"x8'

Your 2x4 was not ground contact treated.

I would be keeping the edging independent of the fence.

Thank you for everyone's response.

The 4 x 4 fence post are set in 8 inch concrete footings 4 feet deep which is below the frost line in my area.

My plan is to use 4 x 4s rated for ground contact laid horizontally to support most of the weight of the ground which is 2 to 6 inches higher on the finished side of the fence and then use aluminum edging as an extra support for the interlocking pavers.

Why is it a good idea to keep the edging independent of the fence? I was thinking by attaching the edging to the fence posts it would make it stronger.

Back