deck cleaning

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skinned

Reaction score
Deck on north side of house. I have a very small fairly new deck that covers up a cement stoop with about 4 steps. It is made with pressurized lumber, and ONE of the planks right in the center of the deck, from end to end, has a mold or algae problem, green anyway, with moss between cracks. I have scrubbed with household bleach, with H2O2, used a pressure washer and removed surface moss, but there are still streaks of green throughout the plank. I had coated the deck annually with a transparent deck finish. Is that hindering the cleaning? Should I sand that one plank? Or try something else?

The treatment is green and shows brighter in some grains of the wood and welcome to the site.

thanks Neal, guess you are referring to the pressure treatment. my deck is now about 5 years old and I have not noticed a problem until just now when I went out to work on it. There was noticeable green goo on the surface, and some moss growing in the cracks on each side of the plank. would oxy bleach help? the regular bleach I used has lightened the surface but there is still strong green streaks in the wood. I am going to sand it a bit anyway to get rid of some of the damage caused by the regular bleach.

I usually use a vinegar/water or vinegar/water/baking soda solution and let it sit for a half hour to an hour or so, and then scrub it off. That usually works for me. If that doesn't work, then I would say go ahead and sand the area and treat it again.

I would go with kmueller solution and if that didnt/doesnt work then just go to sand it, as he/she said. either way i hope it turned out ok

Latest posts

Back