Understanding Vent Plumbing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remout

Reaction score
I'm putting a bathroom in a 121 y/o Cottage with a raised foundation. The walls are solid wood, however one wall, I'm adding, will be typical 2 x 4 stud construction. Below is a view from above depicting the bathroom fixtures and the stud wall.
above.png

Now a view from the side showing how I think the drain and vent plumbing can be run. Am I getting it right? Thanks!

side.png

I think you need anther wall at the end of the tub, so you can run another vent up and tie it to the other one above. But Frodo should be alnog soon.

Here is a good diagram of your situation (from the other side) .... you made a good try at it, BTW. Notice the main vent stack is in the middle, not the side. However, it can be relocated. Notice the use of traps at each point. This prevents sewer gasses from flowing back into the house. Your drain lines should have a 1/8" per foot fall to facilitate water flow. The sweep on the toilet is NOT a simple 90 degree sweep ... you want a sweep specifically for the toilet application. Good luck, sounds like you are doing the right stuff.

bathroom drain plumbing cr.jpg

Okay, Thanks!
I can make that work and even better I'm beginning to understand it.

the above drawing by Mr Villa is not code compliant

above.png

Last edited:
"that fitting has to be below the T for the toilet".... got it, thanks!

I don't think this matters, but I've only got one wall that has room for plumbing. The other 3 are solid cypress barge board walls (121 y/o cottage)

tub vent...

above.png

Last edited:
post, the wall layout for the floor.

all the walls in that general area. looking for a wall within 5'

what wall is the water for the valve going in?

Drat, I don't have an accessible wall within 5' of the tub. I didn't include it on this drawing but there is another door going from bathroom to utility room. Am I correct that every drain would have to be within 5' of the accessible wall? So in the case of the tub, the center of the tub would need to be within 5' of wall?

OHBath.png

its an island vent, still has to have a wall

120vac40a_rev (1).jpg

I spoke with our local building inspector and he recommended using 2" drain pipe from the p trap on the tub to the vent . He said 2" can span 8'

I spoke with our local building inspector and he recommended using 2" drain pipe from the p trap on the tub to the vent . He said 2" can span 8'

Another consideration is the architecture.

What are you using to connect the faucet through the floor, copper, brass, chrome pated or sleeved galvanized?

As an alternative you could run the vent in copper, exposed, coated, painted or raw and let the natural patina develop.

Frodo, for my education, why does the T need to be below the T for the toilet?

Last edited:
What's the deal when they do a loop under an island sink and vent back thru the floor, I've seen it but never really looked at it.
\\\

the loop is for free flow of air. i personally disagree with this method

i think it is over kill, not needed

my theory is the foot vent is not needed, just the loop vent

120vac40a_rev %281%29 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back