Front Door Leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_GS

Reaction score
So discovered a new problem, sitting watching tv and I start to hear a drip. It's bee raining all day and figured it was just rain hitting the front screen door. After a few minutes I get curious and open the front door and see the metal threshold is all wet and I look up and I can see water coming down from the door head. I wipe it down and it still is dripping. Open the front screen door to see if I can tell where it's coming from but no luck. Run a towel along the door head both inside and out and it seemed to stop the water however it still is dripping from the door head between the main door and the screen door. Can't tell where actually from but I can see a water drop form after I wipe it down.

I know the above is probably very vague and confusing but was hoping someone might have an idea as to where or how what would get through and between the 2 doors. Must be getting stopped somewhere for drainage and coming back in.

Possible roof leak coincidentally showing up above the door.

To offer any clues we would need a photo of the front of the house or an accurate description of that area. Water is defiantly coming in above that point so you don’t need to look lower than the top of the door most likely above it but it could be off to the sides also and traveling down and across. More importantly it could be happening in other locations and you are not seeing the results. Time to look your house over closely and see what you can find out.

Yea that's why I said it was kinda vague. With it being dark and raining last night it was hard to get pictures. The exterior is brick and the roof was replaced last September. It's never done this before and was wonder since it was windy and raining if it could of been just wind driven rain being pushed up against the door head. I attached a few pictures. The first picture is where I noticed it from, just behind the door seal there's another 1/4"-3/8" gap, that's where I saw the from. Last picture is just the flashing above the door head (sorry trying to get a good picture close was hard. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1443891588.662940.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1443891608.428064.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1443891624.763684.jpg

Yea the lintel above is a little rusty. House was built in 87. There is a slight gap I can tell every so often between the brick and lintel where I assume the mortar broke free

Thanks for the photos. You can test out the wind driven idea with a garden hose. If it's getting in the gap then maybe that’s the answer. If not slowly work your way up see if you can make it leak.

Agreed but if it's getting in the gap just above the lintel, it wouldn't be smart to fix with mortar would it? If I do that, any water that does get behind the brick higher up wouldn't be able to get out at the bottom.

Agreed but if it's getting in the gap just above the lintel, it wouldn't be smart to fix with mortar would it? If I do that, any water that does get behind the brick higher up wouldn't be able to get out at the bottom.

I would say if you can duplicate it with a hose and it was a rare occurrence with strong wind and rain and putting water higher up didn’t cause it you would then know the cause. I wouldn’t close off a weeping location and if the likelihood of it happening again was slim I would forget it. If it was an ongoing problem then some sort of flashing would be in order. Before you can fix a problem you have to know what the problem is.

I would say if you can duplicate it with a hose and it was a rare occurrence with strong wind and rain and putting water higher up didn’t cause it you would then know the cause. I wouldn’t close off a weeping location and if the likelihood of it happening again was slim I would forget it. If it was an ongoing problem then some sort of flashing would be in order. Before you can fix a problem you have to know what the problem is.

Agreed. I think for now I may wait till the next rain storm and see if it happens again seeing as last weekend was the first time it's ever happened and it was windy out. Appreciate all the input guys!

Agreed. I think for now I may wait till the next rain storm and see if it happens again seeing as last weekend was the first time it's ever happened and it was windy out. Appreciate all the input guys!

Latest posts

Back