Help Please: Modify Surface Mount Toilet Paper Holder

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khufudude

Reaction score
Hi, new to forum. Definitely in need of help on this one. Bought and installed bunch of matching allen + roth Mitchell bathroom products in bathroom remodel, including the Surface Mount Toilet Paper Holder. The problem (common I read) is spring is too stiff/stout and the spindle doesnt compress well, thus the mounts get knocked off constantly :help: it is an "extra long spindle" 7.5" total length fully uncompressed, and is brushed nickel finish so hard to find replacement spindle.

Any way so I thought, "I'll change out the spring!". But that has been hard as well. it is 7" free length, 3/4" hole diameter except for 5/8" at each end. 1/16" wire diameter... No idea what the measured stiffness is, but is is SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer than any tp spindle ive ever come across. would love to change out a better spring or really Any DIY Mod I can do b/c this holder matches like 4 other things already installed...

Any advice Much Appreciated! :banana:

21729795749_0f15f5118f_z.jpg

How far did you space each side of the holder? Allen Roth also supplies a template to make sure you are not to far apart or too close. Did you space the arms as instructed?

I put some up last year and I thought the template spaced them too wide so I moved them in a little. I didn’t have the spring issue though. I put plywood behind all the drywall where things would be mounted as I hate drywall anchors. If you feel your spring is too strong I would just nip a turn at a time off its length until it seemed to be what I wanted. Wire cutters or a dremel tool will cut it. Don’t worry about the taper ends just put the cut end in the bigger tube.

How far did you space each side of the holder? Allen Roth also supplies a template to make sure you are not to far apart or too close. Did you space the arms as instructed?

:) Sorry for the delay, yes the posts are spaced according to the template on the package... the spindle fits perfectly. I tried re-mounting one post 1/4" wider (suggestion) and it was slightly easier to remover spindle but still required hold on each side (two hands) to make sure posts don't budge (even a tiny bit b/c over time [5-6 changes] one will come off]

I put some up last year and I thought the template spaced them too wide so I moved them in a little. I didn’t have the spring issue though. I put plywood behind all the drywall where things would be mounted as I hate drywall anchors. If you feel your spring is too strong I would just nip a turn at a time off its length until it seemed to be what I wanted. Wire cutters or a dremel tool will cut it. Don’t worry about the taper ends just put the cut end in the bigger tube.

Thanks for response, sorry for delay. I should have specified, the plates screwed into to wall are fine and sturdy, but the "posts" that you slide into place on plate and secure with small screw (not screw 'in' just tighten to hold) keep coming off.

21786116978_5bcf6395d9.jpg

The spring is longer and goes the full length of spinle <ABOVE> ("old school" spindle <BELOW> spring sits in Big half and presses against small half & much less stiff. Not sure what to do... still up for suggestions :eek:
21352624913_3dc394736c_z.jpg

I hate those little set screws. First of all, make sure the bracket which is screwed into the wall had the "up" arrow on the top. If you don't, and have the set screw on the bottom, then it will never lock into place. I usually will have to install the cover 2-3 times to make sure it is locked in correctly.

Hey guys, just for closure... I tried un/rescrewing and re-anchoring the plates and making sure the post was on securely (checking direction/slid on properly/drop of blue threadlock on end of set screw).

The posts didn't come loose as easily, but the spindle is annoying to change rolls because of its stiffness. The free length of the spring and wire dia. are both 2X what regular 'old school' spindles have.

There are a couple brands that make the 'new style' (longer) double post TP holders... So I could have bought one for around $25 and poss. used its spindle or spring in mine... and then i was like "wth this is crazy" :(

So I uninstalled all the Allen + Roth matching crap (TP, Towel Bar, Robe hook, Towel ring) ($48) and returned it to Lowes. I bought similar Moen stuff ($65) but with 'New State of the Art' :banana: Pivoting TP holder. Score!

Hey guys, just for closure... I tried un/rescrewing and re-anchoring the plates and making sure the post was on securely (checking direction/slid on properly/drop of blue threadlock on end of set screw).

The posts didn't come loose as easily, but the spindle is annoying to change rolls because of its stiffness. The free length of the spring and wire dia. are both 2X what regular 'old school' spindles have.

There are a couple brands that make the 'new style' (longer) double post TP holders... So I could have bought one for around $25 and poss. used its spindle or spring in mine... and then i was like "wth this is crazy" :(

So I uninstalled all the Allen + Roth matching crap (TP, Towel Bar, Robe hook, Towel ring) ($48) and returned it to Lowes. I bought similar Moen stuff ($65) but with 'New State of the Art' :banana: Pivoting TP holder. Score!

Just proves that old saying; "You get what you pay for".

Back