Repairing cutting board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newaryon

Reaction score
I found a really nice wooden cutting board up in the attic. But when I tried to wash it the board fell apart . . . it seems like the glue that held the wood slats together had gotten weak. I figure I could repair this... I have some Liquid Nails glue. Would that be safe and hold up?

Also it looks as if a few of these slats are a bit warped and might not fit together as well as they once did. I guess I need clamps to hold the pieces together as I glue them?

Wondering also if I should do anything to refinish or waterproof the wood. I have some beeswax-based furniture polish. I have also read that mineral oil is good to use on utensils like salad bowls. Should I do this before or after the glue job?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
:eek: (Probably would be easier to just run to Target and get something new, but I am stubborn.)

I would use regular carpenters glue. The pieces need to fit before you glue and clamp them.
Do not finish it with anything that is not rated as food grade. I would actually not finish it all.

In order to clean off the old glue you would like to run them over a jointer so I doubt it would be successful but I would use yellow carpenters glues. You could build a clamping board out of a peice of plywood and a few bits of wood and a handfull of screws.

I would clean the old glue off, put the pieces together with either dowels or biscuits, and glue with epoxy. I'm not sure if the wood glues are toxic or not, but I know that cured epoxy is true neutral

BTDT. Use exterior rated carpenters glue, clamp until dry, then apply food grade mineral oil.

Latest posts

Back