Cabinet Installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex0r

Reaction score
I am remodeling my kitchen, and with it is new cabinets. I am able to install the uppers easily because there is a corner cabinet and a row on both sides that will make the width the same, however the lowers is another story.

I have a Lazy Susan that isnt 24" deep on either side, and also have an 18" cabinet next to it. Now for asthetic purposes, I sized the cabinets at the top and at the bottom so that when they were installed, they would line up vertically on the ends. (The cabinets themselves are different sizes throughout, but the end widths should line up vertically.

Now my question is, since I can't put my base all the way to the corner and they will still line up, how do I line my ends up so that they are vertically parallel with the upper end cabinets? My plan was to install the uppers, and than use a level or laser level and set it along the end of the upper, and push the lower so that it sits level against the level or laser line. Is this accurate? I don't want to measure from the corner over in case the corner isn't flush, but can't think of another way to do it.

Also, how do I attach my lazy susan to the wall, since it doesn't sit all the way up to the corner? There is a range directly on the other side of it, so I can't fasten it to another cabinet on that side. Should I put some blocks behind it to fasten it to the wall?

Drawing a level line down from the upper gable is the what I would do. If the stove is going next to the lasy susan you should have a gable for the side of the lasy susan and the other side would screw to the next cupboard..
Find the highest spot in the floor and figure your height off that for your lower cabinets. Shim as needed.

I managed to get them installed last night, except for the lazy Susan as I don't know how to install it since it's free floating on the stove side.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would block it out as you mentioned in the OP.

Awesome video nealt, but mines not frameless. It has a box, it's just 18" instead of 24" deep. I can attach it on one side, however the other side doesn't have a cabinet to attach to it.

Just block out the wall 6” with some 2x4’s screwed to the studs in the wall and at the height of the cabinet nailer.

For the side against the stove you need a gable to cover the side all the way back to the wall. It will look just like the end of the other cupboards.

Awesome video nealt, but mines not frameless. It has a box, it's just 18" instead of 24" deep. I can attach it on one side, however the other side doesn't have a cabinet to attach to it.

You are going too have to cleat along the wall in the corner to support the rough top and counter, so you can either buy an FEP from the cabinet supplier and build your own end panel or just build the end panel from plywood.

Latest posts

Back