Is there a soap?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulf615

Reaction score
I was just curious if any of you guys know if there is a soap that can remove oil based poly and stain. I know there are thousand of methods of using different things to clean it off but I was wondering if there was a soap that does it. Just curious.

Last edited:
I was just curious if any of you guys know if there is a soap that can remove oil based poly and stain. I know there are thousand of methods of using different things to clean it off but I was wondering if there was a soap that does it. Just curios.

No. Typically the only thing that really works is a stripper that contains methylene chloride. I've had poor results with any of the "safe" strippers, especially on polyurethane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try spraying your hands with some WD 40.

Like I said before I was just wondering if there was a soap cus I always use chemicals like a paint thinner or lacquer thinner or even a nail polish remover but I go through a lot and I don't like putting the chemicals on my hands plus i have to use soap anyways.

Thinners will enter the skin and will transport the other chemicals into the skin, never a good idea.

Thinners will enter the skin and will transport the other chemicals into the skin, never a good idea.

How about some latex gloves?

Lol ya gloves would do the trick but my laziness kicks in and I would never end up putting some on. Plus I usually like using my sense of touch to check if areas are wet or what not idk. It's not a huge concern but it is just me being curious and maybe feeding my laziness.

nealtw- would the soap I posted remove most of it?

Not sure, but time is on your side the oil in the skin will remove most anything in a couple days.

Not sure, but time is on your side the oil in the skin will remove most anything in a couple days.

K thanks. Ill try out the stuff I was looking at because I need an aggressive hand soap anyways I bet it will do some damage to the stuff and the rest will come of naturally like you said. I was just curious if there was a soap specifically made to remove oil based products.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid, and got oil-based paint on my hands, my father would reach for the turpentine. But my mother would cut him off and use a small amount of olive oil on a rag and voila. Of course I wouldn't use extra virgin for hand cleaning, and I'm not sure if other food oils would work as well. but you might experiment a little.

When I was a kid, and got oil-based paint on my hands, my father would reach for the turpentine. But my mother would cut him off and use a small amount of olive oil on a rag and voila. Of course I wouldn't use extra virgin for hand cleaning, and I'm not sure if other food oils would work as well. but you might experiment a little.

Ill have to give that a try.

Try Fels-Naptha and then wash your hands with regular soap and then hand lotion if you like soft hands.

Latest posts

Back