Installing Window Wells

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My basement windows are installed pretty much right at grade level. There are no window wells. Could anyone give me some direction with steps to take to install window wells?

Thanks!

If your windows are at grade do you really want a deep window well?

My windows that are at grade I just built 3 sided box out of 2x6 PT and set them in front of each window and its enough to keep mulch away from the window.

The biggest trick is drainage, on new houses they put a grain connected to the perimeter drain.
The gound level should be 8" below the top of the concrete, you can build a three sided box box out of 4x6 treated timbers ( underground rated treatment ). Hot dipped galvinized 10 inch nails will hold them together.
Two layers deep will give you 12".

Thanks for the input. So, should I just dig about 6 inches below grade to install these, that so 6 inches of this box sticks above the ground?

The box can be at ground level, I would go 12" down and about 10 or 12 inches wider than the window and out about 18 inches. A couple inches of gravel in the bottom.

Moisture in the concrete will wick up thru the concrete so yoiu would like to have exposed concrete for that moisture to wick out to the outside before it gets to the window area. As is there will be no hint if the groundwater level sneaks up toward the window , if a window well fills with water there will be a need for more drainage the will be easy to see.

Moisture in the concrete will wick up thru the concrete so yoiu would like to have exposed concrete for that moisture to wick out to the outside before it gets to the window area. As is there will be no hint if the groundwater level sneaks up toward the window , if a window well fills with water there will be a need for more drainage the will be easy to see.

And easy to fill with rainwater.:2cents:

If the OP had said I have windows at grade and I get water coming in will window well help and how should I build them that would have been a different request. He started getting advice on putting in deep wells with drainage and such. I assumed he wasn’t having a problem as he didn’t mention one and it was more of an issue of keeping landscaping materials and such away from the windows.

Maybe he will come back again and we can get the rest of the story.

Back