Replacing all Hinges. Asking for trouble?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvyCat

Reaction score
Now that I have changed out all the polished brass handlesets for brush nickel, the brass hinges on my doors really stick out like a sore thumb. I want to replace those, too, but I wonder if removing/replacing hinges on a perfectly good door is asking for trouble. Anyone have experience with this? Any tips or tricks?

SC

I just did a project where I changed out 15 hollow core, 2 hinge doors to solid slabs that needed a center hinge added. In your case it's easier because your doors and jambs are mortised for hinges. Just take off the door, remove the hinges and replace with new hinges. Just get hinges with the same radius unless they're square and you won't have any issues with changing them out.
The only issue you may have is, if one or more of the existing hinges is shimmed because the mortise was cut too deep, or some other adjustment.
Do one door out of the way. You'll see it's pretty easy.
If you have a lot of hinges to buy, I found they were cheaper online rather than HD or L's.
You might also consider using a longer screw for the new hinges to keep them tight, or just snap off a tooth pick into the old screw hole before the new screw.

Last edited:
I need 24. Already counted. :) I got my handlesets on ebay for a steal, and the same guy sold me decora switches. I should see if he has hinges. Thanks for the info.

I wouldn’t even take the doors down unless I had to. Change them one at a time in place with a helper.

Latest posts

Back